You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi, I'm one of those sad individuals that actually reads/studies software manuals in the full knowledge that more is learned in less time, thus by exploring my newly purchased Affinity Deigner in conjunction with its  companion Workbook, I have gradually but quickly compiled a short list of questions and observations that neither Affinity Help nor the Workbook have either answered or addressed, and some examples of which are listed below.

I should also point out that I am a freelance graphic designer and long time enthusiast/advocate for the  unfairly Adobe-retired Aldus/MacroMedia/Adobe FreeHand.

Thanks in advance for any forthcoming assistance.

1. Can the Page Guides (not margins) be given a custom colour (as in FreeHand)?
  2. Is there a trace or auto-trace feature (as in FreeHand)?
  3. Can the Artistic text box be constrained to fixed dimensions (as in FreeHand)?
  4. On discovering an apparently undocumented modifier/mouse click combination to elicit control handles from a shape’s sharp node, and thus more intuitively converting it (FreeHand style, sorry!) into a smooth node, the resulting action is inconsistent from one shape compared to that of another (although all instances are consistent within a single given shape, there are two separate, distinctively differing actions).
  5. Can gradient fill “stops” be “numerically” positioned as well as that of manually (as in ... no, just kidding)?
  6. A Designer Workbook tutorial mentions the deleting of nodes in the Brush Editing, Dynamic Tabs profiles, but only adding them seems possible. Nothing I tried resulted in a deletion.

1. No.

2. No

6. I am unfamiliar with the workbook. Have you tried selecting the node and hitting the delete key? You may need to use the Node Select tool.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

2 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

1. No.

2. No

6. I am unfamiliar with the workbook. Have you tried selecting the node and hitting the delete key? You may need to use the Node Select tool.

2 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

1. No.

2. No

Yes, that's one one of many options I tried, and the Node Select tool cannot be used because Dynamics Tab Profiles are only accessible in Pixel Persona which eliminates the Node Tool from selectibility.

Edited by JohnWClark
Grammatical corrections.

3. Artistic text is unconstrained. Use the Frame Text Tool to define a text area.

4. Can you give more details? What keypress? what happens? Where is it inconsistent? etc.

5. The position of Fill stops on a gradient can be entered as a % in the drop down from the Fill box on the context tool bar (visible with many tools such a Move Tool, Shape Tools etc).

6. Right click pressure dynamics node to delete it.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

Thanks for advice on topics 3 & 5.

With regard to topic 6, nothing deletes the nodes, including your suggestion, and which I've tried with both a Mac Magic Mouse, and a Windows two button mouse (I'm using a Mac, by the way).

I have now (only just) fathomed the topic 4 conundrum.

With the Pen Tool selected, a Control Key/Mouse-Click/Drag on a sharp node elicits the two control handles whilst simultaneously converting it, in situ, into a smooth node.

However, when the Node Tool is selected, the very same action drags the sharp node, leaving both control handles in it's previous, original position. These can then be Independently adjusted as desired, but the node remains sharp.

This might well be fairly common knowledge, but now I too am in the loop.

Thanks again.

4 hours ago, JohnWClark said:

A Designer Workbook tutorial mentions the deleting of nodes in the Brush Editing, Dynamic Tabs profiles, but only adding them seems possible. Nothing I tried resulted in a deletion.

I see what you mean now. No luck with deleting them here either. But if you don't like the edits you can just select one of the standard curves and start again because as far as I can see  our edits are not overwriting anything. The beta for Designer has the ability to select the node and hit the delete key.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

3 hours ago, Aammppaa said:

I am on Windows, where right click does delete the pressure dynamic node.

What does it say in the help when viewed on mac? 

https://affinity.help/designer/English.lproj/pages/Painting/pixel_modify.html

Cannot find any reference to how the nodes are supposed to be deleted, but when right-clicking on a Mac, the node simply remains in position.

3 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

I see what you mean now. No luck with deleting them here either. But if you don't like the edits you can just select one of the standard curves and start again because as far as I can see  our edits are not overwriting anything. The beta for Designer has the ability to select the node and hit the delete key.

Cheers, good suggestion.

10 hours ago, JohnWClark said:

Cannot find any reference to how the nodes are supposed to be deleted, but when right-clicking on a Mac, the node simply remains in position.

Under "Dynamics" the Mac Designer 1.6 help topic says, "Move circular nodes to reshape the ramp, add nodes to the ramp by clicking on the line, or select a node to delete a node with the ⌦ key (simplifying the ramp)."

However, deleting a node with the ⌦ key does not work, at least on my Mac.

EDIT: I just tried this with the 1.6 version of Affinity Photo & it doesn't work in that app either.

However, in the current Mac 1.7 betas for both Photo & Designer it does work, so I guess this is a bug that will not be a problem once the 1.7 versions come out of beta.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7