You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Painfully slow redraw

Just fired up beta 1.7.0.11 and had a go at opening a kids book I'm illustrating - which now opens in this beta (the prev beta 1.7.0.10 would always bomb after around 10mins trying to open the file) :-

OK I can live with designer taking 9mins to open the file when 1.7.0.7 would open in around 4 or 5mins for the same artwork, but now the redraw is just painfully slow to the point it's un-usable, I know that beta 1.7.0.8 and 9 were having problems with complex vectors when snapping was switched on and would lock up for around 5 mins if you tried to move anything by dragging (using the arrows worked fine) but this is far worse I think the last time I did any work on the book was in 1.7.0.7 and it was a little slow maybe, but now the same file seems to be 10 times slower and virtually un-workable - I can't see it being a ram issue as I have 48gb with a massive chunk assigned to designer - the previous book in the series is super nippy and is just ascomplex with more pages and takes around a minute to open and was put together in the last app store version 1.6.1 see the attached vids for speed comparison 

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

• Staff

Hi Daz,

I'm glad the file now opens for you, however I'd be interested in getting a hold of both the 1.7 file and also the file that is openable in 1.6. However judging from your previous post it is 5GB! Is this the same for the 1.6 file? I can supply you a link to our internal Dropbox if you're don't mind uploading them to that? Or if you have a Dropbox account and don't want to risk the upload failing you could always create a private link to that and send me that link?

Thanks!

Hi Sean

Just noticed that the 1.7 version which is 17pages (so far) and is 5.28GB in size but the 1.6 version of the same book is 8 pages but is 5.95gb and runs loads faster and smoother than the 1.7 version to the point that 1.7 seems like it's not responding for maybe 10 seconds and just crawls along - the second .mov screen grab I uploaded is the first book and is 29 pages and is just under 7GB but runs loads faster in 1.6 - I'm pretty sure the last time I worked on the 1.7 version, that it ran at the same speed as 1.6 - in beta 1.7.0.11 even moving around the document and zooming seems all jerky

Yes boss send me a link and I'll upload the 1.7 and 1.6 versions of the second book

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

www.bingercreative.co.uk

Hi Sean 

Had the two files uploading last night to your dropbox link and it quit after 30% - so thought I'd do a side by side comparison of the exact same designer file in both 1.6 and 1.7 

As you will see from the attached screen grab vid, 1.6 is nice and fluent and pretty quick with the screen draw but 1.7 is all jerky and slow with the exact same file just re-opened in 1.7 - just wondering if the speed will improve closer to release? - I realise I made a mistake by working on the book in 1.7 but is there any way of backtracking a 1.7 file to 1.6 as the speed makes a massive difference to my workflow? - I've tried copy and paste and it just rasterised all vectors and randomly scattered a grouped page on and off the page  

Daz1.png

www.bingercreative.co.uk

• Staff
14 minutes ago, Dazmondo77 said:

Hi Sean 

Had the two files uploading last night to your dropbox link and it quit after 30% - so thought I'd do a side by side comparison of the exact same designer file in both 1.6 and 1.7 

As you will see from the attached screen grab vid, 1.6 is nice and fluent and pretty quick with the screen draw but 1.7 is all jerky and slow with the exact same file just re-opened in 1.7 - just wondering if the speed will improve closer to release? - I realise I made a mistake by working on the book in 1.7 but is there any way of backtracking a 1.7 file to 1.6 as the speed makes a massive difference to my workflow? - I've tried copy and paste and it just rasterised all vectors and randomly scattered a grouped page on and off the page  

1.7Slow1.6Fast.mov

That's a real shame! I did wonder if it would play up, which is why I mentioned if you could create a link using Dropbox's context menu items if you had a local Dropbox with it. Unfortunately I'm unable to comment on whether it will improve closer to release. Ideally could do with the file to pass on to development - I'll see if they've got any thoughts however.

As for getting the file back to 1.6 unfortunately that is not going to be possible without using an intermediate format of PDF or SVG.

Thank's for the swift reply Sean

What if I try to just upload the 1.6 file? as for my above screen vid, all I did was open a copy of the 1.6 file in 1.7 to judge the sluggishness  

Daz1.png

www.bingercreative.co.uk

• Staff
6 minutes ago, Dazmondo77 said:

Thank's for the swift reply Sean

What if I try to just upload the 1.6 file? as for my above screen vid, all I did was open a copy of the 1.6 file in 1.7 to judge the sluggishness  

Yeah that shouldn't be a problem. Thanks!

Cheer's Sean - It's uploading now

Daz1.png

www.bingercreative.co.uk

Uploaded!

Daz1.png

www.bingercreative.co.uk

• Staff

Thank you very much for taking the time to upload the file. I've spent some time trying it on my Mac (Late 2013) using both Mojave and El Capitan and didn't find it to be anywhere near as bad as your video shows! The only thing I can think is that maybe your external GPU is causing the slowdown? Have you tried ticking Use only integrated GPU acceleration in Preferences? I'll pass it on to Matt to see if he has any ideas as well. 

Yes Sean tried the integrated GPU acceleration, didn't really notice any improvement - I notice a slight improvement when snapping is turned off but everything is still pretty jerky when moving around the screen and refreshing, whereas 1.6 is noticeably smooth and fast in comparison  

Daz1.png

www.bingercreative.co.uk

• 4 weeks later...

Now using App store version 1.7.0 and for smallish files it's ACE although not as fluent and quick as 1.6.1 but on my latest book illustrations (vids above) it's still massively slower than 1.6.1 - the file originally took around 4 minutes to open in 1.6 but I've just timed it opening up in 1.7 at 15:03.04 minutes :51_scream::69_zzz::69_zzz::69_zzz:  I'm sure it took less in the previous beta, although I never timed it but I'd estimate around 10mins - then the screen redraw is really sluggish and moving around the page is all jerky - I've just timed the beach ball lock up 9 mins then zoomed out and moved to another page, spent a few minutes looking at pixels waiting to re-draw and it's bombed - I was hoping to get the book done by next week but it's currently unusable  - really love all the features but is there anything that can be done to get closer to the speed and fluency of 1.6?

Daz1.png

www.bingercreative.co.uk

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.