You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Problem creating shapes on masks

I'd like to mask off certain parts of an image.

So I select the rectangle tool to create a shape that would do that.

The mask is selected, I draw with the rectangle tool - but the rectangle doesn't appear on the mask. It gets its own layer, masking off EVERYTHING, not just the layer on the mask.

Why doesn't the rectangle tool create a shape on the mask?

5 hours ago, World View said:

I'd like to mask off certain parts of an image.
So I select the rectangle tool to create a shape that would do that.
The mask is selected, I draw with the rectangle tool - but the rectangle doesn't appear on the mask. It gets its own layer, masking off EVERYTHING, not just the layer on the mask.
Why doesn't the rectangle tool create a shape on the mask?

Either you drag the layer to be masked so that it appears offset.

image.png.9db3939ca25d362ec2d62c79fca61a9e.png

Or you click on the button "Insert into selection" image.png.205c2ea1e7375e60af451c1ac576059c.png in the toolbar before creating the layer to be masked.

S u p p l e m e n t :
If you want to work directly in a mask, you use a layer mask image.png.aeba51af1ce85d3f859c0cc70f142ca3.png. For example, to create a history mask. Possibly there will be further possibilities of editing a layer mask, if the other personas are implemented. But I can only guess at that at the moment.

4 hours ago, Michail said:

Either you drag the layer to be masked so that it appears offset.

image.png.9db3939ca25d362ec2d62c79fca61a9e.png

Or you click on the button "Insert into selection" image.png.205c2ea1e7375e60af451c1ac576059c.png in the toolbar before creating the layer to be masked.

S u p p l e m e n t :
If you want to work directly in a mask, you use a layer mask image.png.aeba51af1ce85d3f859c0cc70f142ca3.png. For example, to create a history mask. Possibly there will be further possibilities of editing a layer mask, if the other personas are implemented. But I can only guess at that at the moment.

Thanks, Michail - but I couldn't create a mask - something is still missing the way I try to do it.

If I drag the layer with a photo on it to the right, it disappears. If I draw a rectangle afterwards, it is on its own layer. And I don't see the button "insert into selection" in the toolbar.

If I try the same thing as I do in photoshop and click the mask button, the image gets a mask beneath, but I cannot work on the mask. I click on it, draw a rectangle, but the rectangle is not on the mask.

I'm used to Photoshop, where you can mask in five seconds 1. click mask button 2. draw rectangle on the mask that shows as black, and you are done.

That's where I am coming from, and Publisher seems to be working in a totally different way.

30 minutes ago, World View said:

1. click mask button 2. draw rectangle on the mask that shows as black, and you are done.

Click the mask button to add a mask to your image

Draw rectangle with marquee tool (on the mask layer only)

Fill with black with Fill Tool

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

16 hours ago, carl123 said:

Draw rectangle with marquee tool (on the mask layer only)

Oh, a new function! Have I missed anything???

16 hours ago, World View said:

I'm used to Photoshop, where you can mask in five seconds 1. click mask button 2. draw rectangle on the mask that shows as black, and you are done.
That's where I am coming from, and Publisher seems to be working in a totally different way.

This is because Affinity Publisher is not an image editing program, but is intended for publishing. The counterpart to Photoshop is Affinity Photo.

5 minutes ago, Michail said:

Oh, a new function! Have I missed anything???

Probably not, I think the reference to Photoshop made me think we were using APhoto, my mistake.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• 1 year later...

I am trying to draw on the layer mask but as World View said "the rectangle doesn't appear on the mask. It gets its own layer, masking off EVERYTHING, not just the layer on the mask."

In AI it is very simple: I select the mask and I can write on it normally. What am I doing wrong?

More than 30 Macs, from 1984 Mac 512K Plus to 2020 iMac 27" i9