You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Ctrl+Shift+Clicking Thumbnail?

Hi Everyone

it seems that Ctrl+Shift+Clicking the rasterized layer's thumbnail does not select all pixels with luminosity above 50% which is a very common practice to create a luminosity mask.

The same combination is working in AP 1.6.5 - so please fix!!

Hello @makspyat,

Try the keyboard shortcut CTRL + ALT and left mouse click on the thumbnail.

Cheers

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3447)

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

To re-open this topic,neither of the alternatives mentioned work on my version of 1.7.0.367. Have tried with both 16 bit and 8 bit images; same (lack of) result. Is there something I am missing? (Windows 10 64 bit)

Thanks.

Thanks FDK for your very swift response. Unfortunately no combination of Ctrl+Shift or Ctrl+Alt or even Ctrl+Shift+Alt while clicking works for me for selecting luminosity pixels above (or below) 50%. However, if I am using the selection brush I can select multiple points via Ctrl+Shift.:(

17 hours ago, aaturner said:

Thanks FDK for your very swift response. Unfortunately no combination of Ctrl+Shift or Ctrl+Alt or even Ctrl+Shift+Alt while clicking works for me for selecting luminosity pixels above (or below) 50%. However, if I am using the selection brush I can select multiple points via Ctrl+Shift.:(

Did you try making a new layer and fill the canvas with colour to see if the selection worked (works also with Create New Fill Layer in the Layers menu at the top of the screen)? If not, then maybe report that as a bug.

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, curtj said:

I found no combination for making luminosity selections

Hello @curtj,

The selection of a luminosity selections works very well.
Try the following:
With the shortcut CTRL + ALT and left a mouseclick on the thumbnail,  a selection is created.
To further narrow down the selection.
Activate the layer with the selection and make a duplicate,  wiht the shortcut CTRL + J
Activate the new layer and deselect the selection, wiht the shortcut CTRL + D.
With the shortcut CTRL + ALT and left mouseclick on the thumbnail, it will a  further luminosity selections created,
the selection is reduced by ca. 50% .

To use the selections for further processing steps, create a spare chanel of the selection.

Cheers

On 8/17/2019 at 3:45 AM, Gnobelix said:

Hello @curtj,

The selection of a luminosity selections works very well.
Try the following:
With the shortcut CTRL + ALT and left a mouseclick on the thumbnail,  a selection is created.
To further narrow down the selection.
Activate the layer with the selection and make a duplicate,  wiht the shortcut CTRL + J
Activate the new layer and deselect the selection, wiht the shortcut CTRL + D.
With the shortcut CTRL + ALT and left mouseclick on the thumbnail, it will a  further luminosity selections created,
the selection is reduced by ca. 50% .

To use the selections for further processing steps, create a spare chanel of the selection.

Cheers

I’m using a MacBook Pro, I noticed you said CTRL + J to make a duplicate layer (Windows), is there a different key or keys sequence for luminosity selections on a Mac? To make a  duplicate layer on a Mac I use Command + J.

Thanks

6 hours ago, curtj said:

I’m using a MacBook Pro, I noticed you said CTRL + J to make a duplicate layer (Windows), is there a different key or keys sequence for luminosity selections on a Mac? To make a  duplicate layer on a Mac I use Command + J. 

Thanks

Sorry.
CTRL in Windows should be Command (CMD) on the MAC.
With the shortcut CMD + ALT and left a mouseclick on the thumbnail,  a selection is created.

Please, just try it.

Cheers

26 minutes ago, Gnobelix said:

Sorry.
CTRL in Windows should be Command (CMD) on the MAC.
With the shortcut CMD + ALT and left a mouseclick on the thumbnail,  a selection is created.

Please, just try it.

Cheers

CMD + OPT key Magic Keyboard, OPT key is same as ALT.  

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

2 hours ago, Cecil said:

CMD + OPT key Magic Keyboard, OPT key is same as ALT.   

Thanks for the information.

Cheers

• 2 years later...

Hello, I am trying to make a luminosity selection by doing CNTL+ shift + left clicking on the thumbnail.  All I get is the whole layer selected.  If make a curves layer and Alt + click on it the layer is completely white so it is clearly not working.  What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Windows:

Ctrl+Alt + left-click (the thumbnail)

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.