kdog3682

For simple vector drawings, is there anything that Affinity Designer can do that Publisher can’t do? (Dekstop)

I like working in Affinity Publisher for because it opens up the option for having lots of pages in the same file. I've started thinking about creating all vectors and wireframes in publisher, and I'm just curious as to what I may be missing out by using Publisher over affinity for these simple vectors / shapes / diagramming.

The most obvious thing is that the Affinity Publisher beta is still a work in progress & should not be used for any commercial or any other project where you can't afford to lose your work.

When the retail APub version is finally released, we will know more, but for now (aside from not being suitable for production work, of course) among the things it lacks is the View Mode options (like Outline, Pixel, & Retina Pixel) of Designer & a way to create symbols or artboards.

Affinity Photo 1.7.2, Affinity Designer 1.7.2, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.153 & Affinity Designer 1.7.2.6 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

@kdog3682

Go for it.

Publisher has some advanced features such as the Resources manager, File "linking", Tables and Pinning that has me wondering if it could replace Photo and Designer for me as my go to application for starting all my projects.

In situations where a particular feature is not present in Publisher I am hoping that easy switching to and from Photo and Designer to access those features will be smooth enough for me not to have to worry about this.

I am looking forward to the final release of Publisher to be able to test it out on a live project using Publisher as the key application for that project to see just how well it performs

Due to the ongoing Brexit negotiations, punctuation, spelling and grammar will be used sparingly until further notice.

Publisher does not have the Corner Tool, the Pencil Tool, nor the Vector Brush Tool. If you own both Publisher and Designer, then when the Designer Persona is enabled later in the Publisher Beta you may have access to those tools in Publisher via the Designer Persona, but we won't know until that time what will be available for sure.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.239), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.464 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.4464 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.458 Beta

Once Publisher won't be beta any more, we can use Designer and Photo Personas. At first thought, these personas could be just a link to call appropriate apps, but A-Team said that we can expect a lot more from their functionality.

Best regards,

Petar Petrenko
Typesetter, Graphic Designer, Photographer
Skopje, Makedonija

Windows 10 x64 Pro
Dell Inspiron 7559 i7
Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M )
16GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600MHz (8GBx2)
1TB HDD + 128 GB SSD Hard drive
UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED- Backlit Touch Display
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5

10 hours ago, Petar Petrenko said:

Once Publisher won't be beta any more, we can use Designer and Photo Personas. At first thought, these personas could be just a link to call appropriate apps, but A-Team said that we can expect a lot more from their functionality.

Yes, but only if you also own Designer and Photo.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.239), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.464 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.4464 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.458 Beta

Is there anyone who doesn't have them? :) 

Best regards,

Petar Petrenko
Typesetter, Graphic Designer, Photographer
Skopje, Makedonija

Windows 10 x64 Pro
Dell Inspiron 7559 i7
Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M )
16GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600MHz (8GBx2)
1TB HDD + 128 GB SSD Hard drive
UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED- Backlit Touch Display
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5