You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi. I am confused about using .svg files in Affinity Publisher.

I am making a document that is 6x9 inches in size. I have created some images in Inkscape that are 6x9 inches in size. When I place them into the pages in Publisher the Resource Manager says

Original Size: 432 px x 648 px 
Original DPI: 72
Placed size: 6 in x 9 in

So it seems I'm ending up with a smaller image than I expected getting enlarged and pixalated maybe?.

I thought that since .svg's are vectors that opening them into Affinity Publisher would create a higher quality image than 72?

Because it is a vector does that not matter what it says in the resource manager and the picture/quality is really fine? 

Or am I really ending up with and enlarged and pixalated that is going to look bad if it goes to print? And if so, is there something I can do to fix it?

I hope I am making sense. Since I am not sure I fully understand all this stuff I might not be making sense. 

Thanks.

Various DPI issues ("Original DPI" vs. actual Original dpi, "Placed DPI" dto.) were posted. There seems to be a fix in the next beta release:

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Thank you. However, I don't think this actually relates to what I was talking about in regards to svg files. (This 1:1 button isn't even an option that comes up when I use svg files. Only when I use other image file types, such as png.) 

Also, I just downloaded the latest update and it has not resolved the issue I am having with svg files. 

18 hours ago, eclecticthis said:

I don't think this actually relates to what I was talking about in regards to svg files. (This 1:1 button isn't even an option that comes up when I use svg files.

Correct. Sorry, I should have linked to that topics 1st post, not the short answer. In previous betas the "Placed DPI" was reported by Resource Manager as increased with increased document DPI. Therefore also the 100% got calculated wrong. – That got fixed indeed in v312.

On 5/5/2019 at 6:02 AM, eclecticthis said:

am I really ending up with and enlarged and pixalated that is going to look bad if it goes to print?

No. There is no such danger for vector objects. That means the shown DPI in Resource manager for pure vector objects or files is neither harmful and seldom useful * – you may just ignore it for vector objects. – But ...

5 hours ago, bebez71 said:

Yes this happens with all vector files (Ai, eps), Publisher indicates the DPI (and enlarging the draw it lowers the resolution).
But that's strange because vector files have no resolution.

... since such formats like .svg /.pdf /.eps may contain non-vector/ pixelated content, too, it then might become useful to control their DPI.

* A use of DPI for pure vector files might be for example: you create a vector document on a particular page size. Then you want to use a linked version to produce it in other sizes, for instance use a business card file for entrance sign, fair exhibition wall and truck design. In that situations the DPI might sort of inform you about your scaling factors.

38 minutes ago, thomaso said:

... since such formats like .svg /.pdf /.eps may contain non-vector/ pixelated content, too, it then might become useful to control their DPI.

* A use of DPI for pure vector files might be for example: you create a vector document on a particular page size. Then you want to use a linked version to produce it in other sizes, for instance use a business card file for entrance sign, fair exhibition wall and truck design. In that situations the DPI might sort of inform you about your scaling factors.

You are right and I agree with this point of view.
But if I create an AI file and insert images with different resolutions (high and low resolutions) how can I understand the real resolution of the placed object?

In this example I put a photo at 500 dpi, one at 72 dpi and a vector rectangle in an Illustrator file.
In AP, Resource Manager tells me that the file is 600 dpi, while at most they are 500 dpi and I also have mixed resolutions.

In my opinion, indicate the DPI of a "container" (such as AI, EPS, etc.) is wrong.

819246860_Schermata2019-05-10alle16_23_11.thumb.png.a365bae268d4f578b8d09348fcd4353d.png

2 hours ago, bebez71 said:

In my opinion, indicate the DPI of a "container" (such as AI, EPS, etc.) is wrong.

Yes, especially in file formats with various content the resolution told by Resource Manager might be true or wrong for the content – so it may be irritating to get those particular DPI reported.

On the other hand one can upscale a 72dpi image and save it as 300 dpi pixel format. Also then the infos by Resource Manager wouldn't be reality – but true from its point of view. Also, any .afpub document has one particular resolution setting, too – regardless of its various content resolutions.

So I'd ignore resolution info given by Resource Manager for such formats unless I know files and content he is talking about. But to have the information for those who know about is worth to keep that feature.