You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

"Trail" left around selection after deselection

Hello;

I am new to Affinity Photo and have a question related to selections. I made a selection of the sky in order to "denoise" only that part of the image. Everything works well (see image A) until I deselect the sky after the denoise operation, then I still see a dim edge of the selection left behind (see image B). This may have something to do with edge feathering or blending when making the selection, but I can't seem to find the secret.

I know there are a few choices to edit out the selection trail left behind, but is that unnecessary if I do this selection edit in another manner?

Thanks! 

selectionA.jpg

SelectionB.jpg

I cant seem to reproduce that on any of the images I have tried

Are you able to upload the image you tried it on?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

...and take a screenshot of the layers panel with layers expanded.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I can see the edge quite clearly on my tablet (after expanding the image). I would suggest that you feather the selection before applying the denoise. Around 5-10 pixels should do it.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Thanks for the responses ...

Below image shows the various layers and the "trail" I see when all selected. I too think this has something to do with feathering of the edge ... but so far nothing I have attempted has worked. Did not delete the sky layer and start over, just tried modifying the selection settings via select->feather, select-refine edges, select->smooth, but these don't seem to "take". For example I select the sky layer, select->feather, set 5px, hit apply, go back into select-feather and the px is back to 0. I am probably trying to modify the selection properties in a way that can't be done after the selection has been created? As I said, I am new to Affinity :).

I will take a shot as deleting the sky layer and recreating it with feathering ... 

SelectionC.jpg.3f5f7ed68c3e73496440cc9ef1ddaa11.jpg

I think part of this is the separation of the sky and tree line and possibly the effect with the colour adjustment, although it would be easy to eliminate this by turning the adjustment layer off to see if that had any effect.

To help you get a better result you might want to improve the selection of the sky as it will be too obvious what you have done based on the selection you have at the moment. So, I would try to improve your selection technique first and then go on to adding effects like denoise. The image itself looks a bit blurry and not very hi-res so making a selection of the sky against a fuzzy tree line will be challenging.

Maybe upload the image so we can advise you on the best method for selection of the sky.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Thanks for the continued thoughts ... here is what I have found thus far... this appears to be related to converting the selection to a layer prior to the denoise operation.

If I do the sky selection, apply denoise to the selection, do deselect, there is no "trail" left on the image.

If I do the sky selection, copy the selection as a layer (ctrl-c/ctrl-v), apply denoise to the layer, do deselect, the "trail" is left on the image.

I am not done with this yet, but obviously a simple solution would be to not create the "denoise layer", which is not ideal if you want to treat the sky as a separate adjustment layer. 

On ward ... 

The examples of the image above are zoomed to 200%, so at that point there is no hi-res, sharpness, noiseless to be had. The edge around the tree line is one small element of the image and to be honest not that important when view at normal size. Even the denoise of the sky is not a must, but a refinement. Here is a snap of the full image:

SelectionD.jpg

You don't have to chop the image up, just use masks to mask what you want to affect and what you don't want to affect, this way you can feather the edge of the mask to get a softer blending of the effects applied.

Scroll down the page to: Selections and Masking (5th section down) and watch a few videos.

When you apply the denoise, is there a Preserve Alpha tickbox? If there is, try ticking it. It may only be there if you are running a Live Filter.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

45 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

You don't have to chop the image up, just use masks....

Or you could save your selection.

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

1 hour ago, John Rostron said:

When you apply the denoise, is there a Preserve Alpha tickbox? If there is, try ticking it. It may only be there if you are running a Live Filter.

John

I have checked on this and there is not a Preserve Alpha tickbox in the Denoise Live Filter.

As @firstdefence said, you could use masks. Try this alternative to a mask:

1. Duplicate your entire image;
  2. Apply the Denoise to this new layer;
  3. Use a soft-edged brush to erase all those parts of this layer where you do not want to keep the denoise effect;
  4. (Optional) Merge the two layers.

John

1 hour ago, John Rostron said:

I have checked on this and there is not a Preserve Alpha tickbox in the Denoise Live Filter.

As @firstdefence said, you could use masks. Try this alternative to a mask:

1. Duplicate your entire image;
  2. Apply the Denoise to this new layer;
  3. Use a soft-edged brush to erase all those parts of this layer where you do not want to keep the denoise effect;
  4. (Optional) Merge the two layers.

John

I do much the same when I want to do selective sharpening, but I don't duplicate the image - what advantage does that have?

8 minutes ago, IanSG said:

I do much the same when I want to do selective sharpening, but I don't duplicate the image - what advantage does that have?

The advantage is having a duplicate underneath so any adjustments on the master layer (top) can be brushed out with a mask revealing the unmodified layer below.

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

4 hours ago, AffinityJules said:

The advantage is having a duplicate underneath so any adjustments on the master layer (top) can be brushed out with a mask revealing the unmodified layer below.

Ah - I was assuming the Denoise was being applied as a Live Filter Layer!  But that presents another question - is there any advantage to not using a Live Filter Layer?

28 minutes ago, IanSG said:

Ah - I was assuming the Denoise was being applied as a Live Filter Layer!  But that presents another question - is there any advantage to not using a Live Filter Layer?

Same thing applies in the sense that you can also use a mask layer on a live filter just as well as on a normal pixel layer. The difference being: when using a mask you can remove sections of the edit which the filter you've used has had a detrimental effect rather than a favourable one.

Live filters are just another way of applying a non destructive edit which can be kept or discarded at will and, it's a great way to "try" out an effect without committing to it. Obviously, if you know exactly what your photograph needs then "live filters" are not that necessary

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

10 minutes ago, AffinityJules said:

The difference being: when using a mask you can remove sections of the edit which the filter you've used has had a detrimental effect rather than a favourable one.

Sorry, I must be missing something!  If I apply an effect via a Live Filter Layer, I can undo the unwanted bits by simply erasing the offending part of the layer.  

Yes, just as long as you have a duplicate (unmodified) underneath and the top layer (modified) has a mask.

An extreme example but this demonstrates what I mean.

The top layer has a live blur and a mask.

The duplicate underneath comes through when masking out the offending areas.

blur.JPG

11 hours ago, firstdefence said:

You don't have to chop the image up, just use masks to mask what you want to affect and what you don't want to affect, this way you can feather the edge of the mask to get a softer blending of the effects applied.

Scroll down the page to: Selections and Masking (5th section down) and watch a few videos.

Thanks Team!

Love this great response to my question....

Am now going to check out "Selections and Masking" ....

1 hour ago, >|< said:

You don't need the duplicate Pixel layer and the extra Mask.

20817522_ScreenShot2019-05-06at20_23_33.thumb.png.41335b0020b45ddb66933ccaab04e419.png

733569836_ScreenShot2019-05-06at20_21_02.thumb.png.04897a28081425e87fb79475b5d62d35.png

That's cool, but I have no idea what you've done.

1 minute ago, >|< said:

Add the live filter then paint black into its built-in mask where the effect is to be hidden.

Oh yes....of course! I was forgetting that. I usually have the assistant turned off and manually apply masks as needed.