Photothusiast

Affinity photo crashing on iPad Air 2019

I previously had the app on the iPad 9.7 2018 and decided to upgrade to the iPad Air 2019 due to the bigger screen, quicker performance and more storage. However the app keeps crashing and closing down. Sometimes its instantly after uploading a photo within the app and other times its after a considerable amount of editing without edits being saved. 

@Photothusiast

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :)

The QA team have had a number of similar reports in the last few days, but haven't got an iPad air 3 in the team yet. We suspect that this may be due to the 3GB memory option and we may need to improve our memory optimization in Affinity Photo for this new configuration, sorry. We are unlikely to patch 1.6.x again, before we update to 1.7.0 but we are passing these reports back to get this addressed as a matter of priority for the next release, if that is the cause.

Patrick Connor
Serif (Europe) Ltd.

Latest releases on each platform 

Trying to create a new layer with mask so I can put text behind my head. Every time I hit apply it crashes. Any suggestions please! I’m using an I pad air with the latest software.

6535446B-CFBD-46D3-895A-AE2AF3EBD7A4.jpeg

Has this been finally solved in v 1.7?

I am thinking to buy an iPad Air 2019, and I would like to be sure that Affinity apps work fine.

Hi. The problem that I stated in the original post still exists. Initially the issue improved, although it was still crashing as layers progressed it wasn’t as frequent. In the last few weeks however, it has been crashing frequently again. My previous base iPad (2018) with 2GB RAM worked very well with this app and it is the main reason I bought a more powerful iPad, to work on affinity quicker and more efficiently with a larger screen and more storage. It will be interesting to see how or whether this is ever resolved. I really hope it does get resolved as this was a big investment for me as a photographer.

Edited by Photothusiast

It looks like iPad OS changed something, as this issue was fixed in iOS 12. I've reopened the issue and let our developers know :)

For a few days I face the same problem with my IPad Pro. It’s frustrating to work 20-30 minutes to an project and suddenly Affinity crashes and you lose all your work. Any suggestions? Did you solve this problem?