TextusGames

[By Design] Drag from color picker tool to a color with pixel brush selected does not updates brush color.

Drag from color picker tool to a color with pixel brush selected does not updates brush color. 

Is this a bug?

Also that is the fastest way to pick a color for pixel brush? ( Currently i click color button at the bottom than drag from color picker of opened menu into canvas, but it is 2 step process.

1. Latest ipad version of Affinity Designer.

2. Can Reproduce always.

3.Happens in any document.

The issue is:

1. Video 1. If in the top right corner you select some how stroke color and than working with pixel brush try to drag from picker tool to any color the color will not be applied. It will flash for a tiny period and then will be resetted to currently selected brush color.

2. Video 2. If in the top right corner fill color type is selected everething works good: drag from droper tool to any color on the canvas will apply that color to brush color.

3. Video 3. For the top right color wheel selector and its dropper tool that does not matter that type of color fill is choosed ( stroke or fill ) . Selecting color will always apply it to the brush color and this is good becouse pixel brush does not have separation in fill or stroke color it just have a color, that is why it should not be dependant on currently selected color type( fill or stroke ) for any color changing tool including left droper tool.

A. So make pixel brush color lselection behaviour independent from top right  selected color type (fill or stroke) (for left droper tool)

B. Make visual distinction of which color type is selected in top right corner. For fill type there should be just a circle with choosed color and for stroke type there should be donut with choosed color. Overwise there is no way to see that type of color is selecte now. That leads to some unnessasry mistakes than you wanted to change fill color and accidentally chane stroke color and vice verse or than you trying to change pixel brush color with left dropper tool and nothing happens.

You're using the stroke(secondary) colour to paint and not the primary one. The colour picker tool will always pick and apply the colour to the fill(primary) swatch and not the stroke(secondary). The primary swatch has a full/solid icon, while the stroke/secondary swatch has got a hollow icon. Nothing wrong, but just how the picker works :)

12 minutes ago, GabrielM said:

The colour picker tool will always pick and apply the colour to the fill(primary) swatch and not the stroke(secondary).

This is incorrect. At list on Ipad verison.

There color picker will apply color is determened by that color type is curently used in top right corner. 

And becouse there is no visual distinction of which color type is selected in top right corner  (with unpined color tab there always be a circle for both stroke and fill color) It is hard to tell there you will apply your color. That is why for stroke color there  should be hollow circle and for fill just circle.

27 minutes ago, GabrielM said:

You're using the stroke(secondary) colour to paint and not the primary one

And also in video3 i showed that pixel brush color can be changed by both changing fill or stroke color.

I was talking about your example (using the pixel persona and the brush tool). While investigating this I've found another issue which I've logged with our developers. 

54 minutes ago, GabrielM said:

While investigating this I've found another issue which I've logged with our developers. 

Glad to here that. Thank you for your investigation.)