You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Anyone using this machine with AP.

If so how is it doing and are you using an external display successfully?

MacPro (late 2013), 24Gb Ram, D300GPU, Eizo 24",1TB Samsung 850 Archive, 2x2Tb Time Machine,X-t2 plus 50-140mm & 18-55mm. AP, FRV & RawFile Converter (Silkypix).

Guess that answers my question!

MacPro (late 2013), 24Gb Ram, D300GPU, Eizo 24",1TB Samsung 850 Archive, 2x2Tb Time Machine,X-t2 plus 50-140mm & 18-55mm. AP, FRV & RawFile Converter (Silkypix).

12 hours ago, Sharkey said:

Guess that answers my question!

What does? Keep in mind that not everybody using Affinity Photo participates in these forums, & even if they do they may not do more than follow their own topics.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I can't see any reason why a MacBook Air 2018 "wouldn't" work with Affinity. To follow on from R C-R, there are a lot of people on Facebook posting issues and art etc in various Affinity groups and I've seen mention of people using MacBook Air's

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Thank you gentlemen.

My internet browsing is limited to 10 minute (approx) on BBC News - enough to realise nothings getting better.

Followed by Affinity, Fuji, Macrumours ,Mac9to5 and my only weakness 'ello'.

Hence checking in here for MBA thoughts. Perhaps Macrumours would have been a better bet?

My other comment - well that is just me being paranoid as usual - sorry.

As I get older and the money dries/dried up trying to keep a feeling of modernism in my photography includes being able to assure myself that the kit I use is up to date (desperate isn't it?). Obviously making decisions becomes more difficult the tighter the limitations until there is no choice at all.

I think this year will be my last opportunity to make a reasoned rather than forced decision. So the MBA plus eGPU? is 'one' option; along with just change my display and upgrade MBP etc. etc..

There, all explained.

So any thoughts always appreciated.

6 minutes ago, Sharkey said:

I think this year will be my last opportunity to make a reasoned rather than forced decision. So the MBA plus eGPU? is 'one' option; along with just change my display and upgrade MBP etc. etc..

Do you really need a laptop Mac? If not, maybe consider an iMac instead. The less expensive, lower end models are still quite capable performers & you get a considerably larger screen for less than you would pay for the MBA + an eGPU.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Oops!

Should have read MP not MBP upgrade.

A 24"4K display @ £300 + Aurora from OWC £300 less £50 for old ROM Plus AP being as good at Fuji files as I hope and I may be OK with that.

Still a 6yo machine though??

It is getting a bit beyond me at the moment. A lot of these changes are a bit beyond my pay grade (as was). Used to be SSD+tons of RAM = everything.

Now I can see on my screen dozens of recommended SSD varieties (exaggeration), GL/CL support and manufacturing incompatibilities coming from every direction.

It maybe iMac is the way to go; or even just wait 'til something gives up and replace it (the old way)? 

Hmm honestly those former times entry level Apple hardware (MB Air, MacMini) aren't a bargain any longer. In some more usable configuration these go into similar price regions than other hardware here. For example an actual Air in a moderate configuration isn't that much cheaper than a 13" MacBook Pro and the later due to slightly more case volume, might heat wise be better suited for cpu/gpu intensive tasks here. Also a Mini when configured moderately costs pretty as much as an iMac nowadays. - So it's all relative and you have to see what suits your individual needs best here, in terms of cost versus performance and longer time usability.

If you have to be mobile then your choice is restricted to a MBA or MBP, otherwise an iMac might be an option too.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

41 minutes ago, Sharkey said:

It maybe iMac is the way to go; or even just wait 'til something gives up and replace it (the old way)? 

The current generation of iMacs offers a lot of bang for the buck (or Pound), particularly if you can afford one of the 27" Retina 5K display versions. They are not cheap, but aside from the 5K display the 27" models include user upgradable RAM so you aren't stuck paying Apple's RAM upgrade prices, & even the least expensive one comes with an 8th-generation 6-core Intel Core i5 CPU running at 3.0GHz, which most benchmarks suggests considerably outperforms the top of the line 'trash can' Mac Pro.

Of course, there are a lot of rumors & speculation that Apple is going to start using their own A series CPUs in Macs, but even if they do, they are likely to start with the Mac laptops & optimize them for longer battery run times rather than for raw performance, so it could be several years before any desktop Mac is fitted with a high performance A series CPU.

Apple also offers trade in refunds on some Macs, but I don't know how much that would be for an old MP.

Affinity Photo