You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text styles when importing or placing

I generally prepare lengthy text documents using Word. While doing this I am careful to create and use text-styles consistently in the hope that they will eventually come through correctly into AP. To get my text into AP, I just use copy-paste: it works ok, but with one very inconvenient feature (I assume this is by design - not a bug).

For consistency across my various AP documents, I use one document as a template for creating others. This template contains all my necessary style-definitions, such as Normal, Heading, etc. These have the same names (and similar definitions) to those in the Word document I paste from.

What I get, is that when I do the paste, AP creates a whole new set of styles named after the Word styles but with a 1 at the end. So I end up with Normal, Normal1, Heading, Heading1, etc.

I realize I can then do a Find-Replace and change all instances of Normal1 to Normal, etc., but with many styles, this takes time.

What I would like to see, therefore, is the option, when importing styled text, on a style-by-style basis to either create a new style or apply the existing AP style.

(Incidentally, I had just the same problem with PagePlus and it would be nice if AP could solve it for me.)

• 1 month later...

Goal is to retain italics. Basic stuff.

I can use >File> Place to import either .docx, or RTF.

Importing an RTF, out of MS Word, included a bunch of junk. Much of the text replaced with Xed out boxes.

The .doc file is grayed out.

Under the > Text menu the only import option is > Insert Filler Text ... only.

At this point it appears I will need to be careful reading through original MS Word files to manually format lost character formats.

5 hours ago, John_Cole said:

The .doc file is grayed out.

Unless you have a typo there, that's because Publisher doesn't support .doc. It supports .rtf and .docx and .txt files.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1