You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Move back tool

Josie, one thing that would help you a lot is to go ahead and purchase Affinity Photo for iPad. It's a much better tool for working with photos. Designer is more akin to Illustrator while Photo is more akin to Photoshop. It would be much easier for you, I think, to be using something more geared toward photo manipulation. I'm glad you have watched some tutorials. They definitely help. Here's a couple more videos for you, in case you decide to buy Affinity Photo (you really should!) that are geared toward absolute beginners such as yourself. They feature Ezra Anderson, who is just fantastic for breaking things down to make them as easy as possible. These are both for ipad!  These two videos will be very useful for doing cat photos

7 hours ago, Josie said:

If I tap on the checkbox for the visor to hide and unhide doesn’t the whole space suit hide as well?

Not if you followed my instructions correctly! Steps 6 to 9 give you copies of the visor area from both the space suit and the cat, leaving the whole space suit (and the cat) still available on a lower layer.

2 hours ago, Pariah73 said:

Josie, one thing that would help you a lot is to go ahead and purchase Affinity Photo for iPad.

Josie has already purchased APh for iPad since starting this thread.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Josie has already purchased APh for iPad since starting this thread.

Yep, it would seem so from one of there many posts:

I only have Designer on my Ipad but how easy is it to flip between the 2 apps when working on one project? I feel like Josie is getting confused with the 2 apps and the different tools in each one.

7 minutes ago, summersara said:

I only have Designer on my Ipad but how easy is it to flip between the 2 apps when working on one project?

The shared file format means you can open a project in either app, of course, but since each app has its own home screen it isn’t easy to flip accidentally (as you might do from File Explorer in Windows).

Alfred spacer.png

28 minutes ago, summersara said:

So there is no 'Edit in Designer/Photo' option when the app is open on the ipad like there is on the desktop version or does it only appear when you have both apps?

No, there isn’t. Or if there is, I haven’t found it!

I don’t think the iPad apps ‘talk’ to each other at all. The last time I checked, it wasn’t even possible to copy and paste between them (which is probably something to do with the restrictions imposed by ‘sandboxing’).

Alfred spacer.png

2 minutes ago, Alfred said:

No, there isn’t. Or if there is, I haven’t found it!

I don’t think the iPad apps ‘talk’ to each other at all. The last time I checked, it wasn’t even possible to copy and paste between them (which is probably something to do with the restrictions imposed by ‘sandboxing’).

Thanks for that Alfred :) Hopefully Josie can stay focused on just the one thing and in only the one app at a time and let us know which that is, lol :D

7 minutes ago, summersara said:

Hopefully Josie can stay focused on just the one thing and in only the one app at a time and let us know which that is, lol :D

Here’s hoping, Sara! xD (“Sorry, you cannot add any more reactions today.”)

Alfred spacer.png

5 minutes ago, Josie said:

How do I make a design like this one in affinity photo?

C71BA760-D602-4C0E-9EE7-C3A61AC70893.jpeg

Before we get into that, please show us the result of your attempt at the ‘cat astronaut’ project.

Alfred spacer.png

7 minutes ago, Josie said:

This is what I have so far

Untitled.pdf

Thanks, but (once again) that’s a PDF file, so we can’t see the layers. What we can see, however, is that the space suit and the background are partially transparent: they should be fully opaque.

Alfred spacer.png

1 hour ago, Josie said:

How do I do a design like this one?

D7B0722A-0F5A-49D8-AD10-5F03E76582BC.jpeg

WYSIWYG, what do you see there, from what parts is that image/drawing build or setup from background to foreground?

Layer order ...

1. A black doc/page background
  2. 3 times a distorted horizontal lines rect with illuminated colorings, make a flashy pattern rect and fill that with horizontal lines, then use the liquify tool to distort it in that shown manner there (distort/liquify it from bottom to top)
    muster-gruen.jpg.5e6ba26f5617d412e420dbc3204d1eda.jpg
  3. Put a cat head and arms on top
  4. Put feet on top

That's all to it, pretty simple stacked together.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

1 hour ago, Josie said:

And also a design like this one in affinity photo.

E7CFEFCA-CF0A-4091-9B80-4575DE2A0BDA.jpeg

WYSIWYG, what do you see there, from what parts is that image/drawing build or setup from background to foreground?

Layer order ...

1. A space background image
  2. Some neon color stroked triangle shapes without fill and some wishi-washi stroke lines
  3. Little placed cat images on top criss-cross

Again, pretty easy and simple stacked together.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

4 minutes ago, Josie said:

But how do I do the design?

4 minutes ago, Josie said:

Step by step in affinity photo?

As I’ve pointed out before, if you need to clarify an existing post it’s better to edit that post instead of creating a new one.

Anyway, @v_kyr has already given you step-by-step instructions like these:

8 hours ago, v_kyr said:

Layer order ...

1. A space background image
  2. Some neon color stroked triangle shapes without fill and some wishi-washi stroke lines
  3. Little placed cat images on top criss-cross

Again, pretty easy and simple stacked together.

Try it! Post your result when you’ve finished, or post your *.afphoto file (not a JPEG or PDF) if you get stuck along the way.

Alfred spacer.png

15 minutes ago, Josie said:

How do I do the neon strokes on the triangle shape without the fill?

13 minutes ago, Josie said:

Using the ipad

26 minutes ago, Alfred said:

As I’ve pointed out before, if you need to clarify an existing post it’s better to edit that post instead of creating a new one.

In this particular instance, since you’ve posted to the ‘Affinity on iPad Questions’ forum there was no need for clarification about the platform, and we already knew which app because you asked:

35 minutes ago, Josie said:

Step by step in affinity photo?

For an unfilled shape, select the shape in question and tap on the ‘No Fill’ swatch (white with a blue diagonal line) in the Colour Studio.

Alfred spacer.png