You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Floating Objects / Lock Position -- slightly confusing implementation

When I started playing with the "pinned object" features (LOVE it, by the way), it confused me that a floating object doesn't automatically move to the set position (e.g. top of frame, left of column) when changing these options, but that they stay in place and only the ,offset' value is adjusted. To put an object to where I want it to sit, I need to manually tick the box "Lock Position" (permanent solution) or clear the "offset" values (temporary solution).

In my opinion, it would be more intuitive, if pinned objects ALWAYS moved to the position set in the "alignment" section of the panel, but as a standard with the "offset" values greyed out. Then the "lock position" could be renamed to "allow manual positioning" and, when ticked, activate the offset fields -- basically reversing how it works now.

Alternatively, the "lock position" could be activated as a standard and maybe moved a bit up to make it more apparent how it works.

Confuses the heck out of me too, I found that I could use the Transform Studio to move the whatever to where I wanted it.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

There are two ways of using it. One is to position the object by hand, and tweak the rules so it maintains that position as it flows by making it relative to the appropriate thing. In this mode, Publisher does what it can to preserve the position you set manually. It actually worked roughly the way you suggest originally, and the object would jump about as you changed the rule from Inside Left to Outside Right or whatever, and the early feedback was that this was annoying.

The other way of working is to tick the Lock position box, and then the object is positioned entirely by the rules and will jump about as you change them. It will also jump when you first pin it, if the box is ticked by default. This can be useful if you know you always want the same relative position. I think both approaches are reasonable ways of working that should be supported, and switching between them by ticking or unticking the box feels at least plausible.

However, I agree Lock position may not be the best name for the checkbox.

By the way, does everyone realise you can reposition the pin of a floating object by dragging it? If Lock position is checked, this will also move the object; otherwise, it updates the offset.

Thanks for the explanation, Dave.

The way you describe it, is exactly what I figured out after a while -- I personally would still prefer it, if the image ,jumped about' when I adjust the position options, because when I change these options, it's normally because I want the object somewhere else, not because I want it to to stay where it is.

My ideal workflow would be to import the image and place it where ever (e.g. outside the type area), adjust the size, apply text wrap options and then move it into the layout and pin it where I want it to sit in relation to my pin by using the alignment options.

I am happy to adjust my workflow to whatever works best in Publisher, but it is REALLY confusing that "lock position" actually makes the object jump around in the first place ... renaming, as you suggest, is a great idea in my opinion. What about "ignore offset" or, if you reverse the functionality as I suggested in my first post, "allow offset"?

On a different note: YES, I like being able to move the pin around, very similar to InDesigns ,anchor' but works much smoother, is easier to see (in InDesign it's just a thin blue text cursor) and text wrap on pinned objects works much, MUCH better. Cannot wait to use Publisher for production work soon.

1 hour ago, Dave Harris said:

By the way, does everyone realise you can reposition the pin of a floating object by dragging it?

Yes. This was one of the first things I tried when I saw the pin for the first time :)

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

4 hours ago, Dave Harris said:

However, I agree Lock position may not be the best name for the checkbox.

Based on this description, I agree.

Also it doesn't seem to work for me on either High Sierra (Mac Pro) or Mojave (MacBook Pro).  Whenever I change the selection or any control in the Pinning panel, this checkbox clears, and it never seems to do anything.  Not sure that I would actually use it in practice anyway - I generally prefer the behavior with this unchecked.

does everyone realise you can reposition the pin of a floating object by dragging it?

Yes, and this works very well.

If Lock position is checked, this will also move the object

It doesn't for me - it just clears the checkbox when I drag the pin.

On 5/4/2019 at 5:03 PM, fde101 said:

It doesn't for me - it just clears the checkbox when I drag the pin.

When "Lock Position" is checked, dragging the pin won't change it's positon, but only connect it to a different letter / word in your text. "Lock Position" fixes the image at the position set in the "alignment" section of the panel (e.g. upper right corner, left aligned with the text, ...), if you select "Character" as one of the alignment options it will actually move with the character, otherwise it will simply ,hop' on another page when the text is edited accordingly.

I have noticed however, that, before clicking "lock position" you need to set the two ,offset' values to zero manually.