You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Possible Transform Studio Panel Calculations Bug

Since the most recent version (1.7.0.305), I've noticed that I'm no longer able to do additions/other calculations in the Transform studio panel using the number row on my keyboard (typing in [whatever the point position is] + 0.25in and then hitting return just clears the entered calculation), but it still works from the number keypad. Has anyone else run into this issue?

Update: actually, I take that back! I'm not able to get it to work from the keypad either right now.

On 5/3/2019 at 12:39 PM, DesignStationYT said:

Since the most recent version (1.7.0.305), I've noticed that I'm no longer able to do additions/other calculations in the Transform studio panel using the number row on my keyboard (typing in [whatever the point position is] + 0.25in and then hitting return just clears the entered calculation), but it still works from the number keypad. Has anyone else run into this issue?

Update: actually, I take that back! I'm not able to get it to work from the keypad either right now.

Something like 1.253 +.5in works for me.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 5/3/2019 at 5:39 PM, DesignStationYT said:

typing in [whatever the point position is] + 0.25in

I would always just type in +=0.25in instead of explicitly including the current value in the expression.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Works for me with +, -, *, /.
Even with deleted unit: for instance I replace "mm" with "+5":
"150 mm" –> "150+5" –> "155 mm"

On macbook,  no separate numbers pad.
Just return key, not "=" typed.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Hey everyone... Further to this, it looks like it's an intermittent issue (if that). It was driving me crazy on the day that I posted, and had been happening a few days prior too. But since a reboot and relaunching the app, it's been working fine... knock on wood. I'll update again if it crops up again, but hopefully it doesn't.

One last update! I've figured it out. Typing in the unit causes the calculation not to work. In other words, if you have an object at 5 in and you type in +.115 in that will not work. But if you just put in +.115 it will. This isn't the expected behaviour for me, especially as you can type in the unit in Affinity Designer and it'll properly perform the calculation (and it's nice sometimes to have a document in one format—inches, for example—but then do a calculation when you add or remove millimetres or other to an object's size or position).

Calculation Works.png

Calculation Doesn't Work.png

5 minutes ago, DesignStationYT said:

One last update! I've figured it out. Typing in the unit causes the calculation not to work. In other words, if you have an object at 5 in and you type in +.115 in that will not work.

Your second screenshot shows that you typed in .25in without a space before the units abbreviation. detective.gif

Alfred spacer.png

4 hours ago, DesignStationYT said:

I've figured it out. Typing in the unit causes the calculation not to work.

I wonder what made you assume a need to type a unit at all 9_9 ... In particular since ...

... Even with deleted unit: for instance I replace "mm" with "+5":
"150 mm" –> "150+5" –> "155 mm" 

15 hours ago, thomaso said:

I wonder what made you assume a need to type a unit at all

You don’t need to, but you should be able to! The following expressions should all work:

.565 in + .25

.565 in + .25 in

.565 in + 6.35 mm

Alfred spacer.png

24 minutes ago, Alfred said:

.565 in + 6.35 mm

Indeed, this would need a typed unit. But mixed units aren't enabled, even not less complex:

50 mm + 1 cm

50 mm * 65%

On the other hand I can't imagine a useful use for that. Instead mixing "in" and "mm" I'd rather set document unit to my preferred.
Also I guess I'd still type  +10  instead +1cm , and  *65%  isn't more comfortable than  *.65

However, I don't expect it to enable me to use it less comfortable than offered (like by repeat a unit or type =).

39 minutes ago, thomaso said:

*65%  isn't more comfortable than  *.65

Not for you and me, perhaps, but other users may disagree! (For percentages, you don’t even need the asterisk. You can just type 65% in the box.)

Alfred spacer.png

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.