You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

When you are finished developing your file, and want to work in the photo persona, does the raw file get overwritten with the develop adjustments? or is the original raw file remain untouched and a copy is opened in photo?  I don't want my original raw files overwritten.  Thanks for the help.

The original RAW files aren't changed. After selecting the develop persona and are in the Photo persona you can work on the photo and save in the Affinity Photo format or another graphics format. Currently the operations in the develop persona aren't non-destructive, but that means you can't go back after you have processed the image, but that doesn't affect the original image. A non-destructive develop persona is listed on the roadmap for the program.

David Voth

Affinity Photo, Designer and Publisher ver. 2: macOS Sonoma and iPadOS 17

Thank you.  But if the original raw file is not affected why can't you go back to make changes?  This then "bakes" the changes into your original if I am understanding you correctly.

If that's the case, I wouldn't use it for raw develop.  If you would like to clarify, please do.  Otherwise I appreciate your help.

1 hour ago, Lorigan said:

If you would like to clarify, please do.

5 hours ago, dvoth said:

The original RAW files aren't changed.

I don't know how that could be more clear.

Think of it like the olden days when we had darkrooms. When I make a print I use the negative to expose some paper, I then soak the paper in developing solution. The negative doesn't get wet. All the changes are made in the computer's RAM and then written to a Photo document which if you save it is a new document. If you go back to the original raw file nothing has been changed.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, Lorigan said:

Thank you.  But if the original raw file is not affected why can't you go back to make changes?  This then "bakes" the changes into your original if I am understanding you correctly.

The Affinity Photo RAW development module (Develop Persona) doesn't keep an associated sidecar file of the made RAW file changes, instead it applies the adjusted settings and offers you to take the so far developed result over into the Photo Persona for further image tweaking. So if you would go back or reopen the initial RAW again in it's Develop Persona you would have to reapply everything (via own made and saved presets). - Other RAW converting software keeps an associated sidecar file of made changes, Affinity Photo actually doesn't do that, thus you would have to reapply the settings you made.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Thank you.  That helps.  How do you change the file to to tiff or psd?  When you save a file it seems it's in the Affinity Photo format by default.    I  think I understand why, but what if I need to do something in Photoshop or Capture One or Luminar, etc ?

You have to use "Export" here, all Affinity apps do save as default (via the common File "Save" or "Save As...") their own format. In order to save into some other file format you have to export your document.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2