You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Designer] Can Compounds be used to clip objects?

I've learnt of compounds after buying the Affinity Designer workbook.

I like the ability to change the shape and composition of the compound any time, without destroying source parts. That's very useful during editing.

The problem I'm encountering is I seem to be unable to use a compound to clip an object: is there any way to do it?

I'm working on a logo made of a number of pieces (letters, numbers, irregular shapes) I'd like to use to clip a texture that I want to spread all around.

I'd like to avoid converting text to curves as I can't undo and I may need to change font, font size, ...
I'd to avoid repeating the texture under each element, as if we change the texture I'll have to replace it in a number of nested layers and groups.
I'd like to work with a compound, as some of the shapes of the logo are still under development and may change in the future. keeping original ellipses and rectangles make editing far faster.

If I nest my texture in the compound (just like I'd do with a common vector layer containing shapes) it will become part of the compound.

If I nest my texture in one of the compound layers, it will show in that layer icon (but won't render as texture) and only in that layer, not all the compound.

Thanks in advance!

Gianni.

As you observed, an attempt to nest doesn’t produce the desired result because the texture becomes part of the compound instead of being clipped to it. However, masking works fine: if you go to the Layers panel, drag the compound and drop it onto the thumbnail of the texture layer, the texture gets cropped to the compound shape.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)