You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Added a PDF tutorial describing some of the methods to create vector brushes from a personal perspective.

Some of the techniques are a bit unconventional.. but I hope you find it useful!:)

Created using AD and APu (1.7 beta)

Sample pages as below:

Page 3@0.5x.jpg

Page 4@0.5x.jpg

Page 5@0.5x.jpg

Create Vector Brush_06.pdf

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.2 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 2.2371
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

Project Assets and sample brushes

Added a small assets Library containing the vector objects used and a small sample set of inkBrush (vector Brushes) created for the inktober 2018 project

Brushes created in 1.65 AD not 1.7 (beta)

Sample sheet as below:

Vector Assets inkBrush@0.5x.jpg

Assets - Create_Vector_Brushes.zip

Create - Vector -Brushes.zip

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.2 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 2.2371
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0

Ok!  Great!  I have d/led this and will give it a right good study for sure.  It looks as if it was a lot of work for you to put this together to share but please know it is appreciated by all of us less talented folks.  At this point most of what I am doing with AD is creating little cartoon character types for my own amusement, but I hope to be able to start to add some texture/shading/excitement  to them by using some of what I am going to learn from your wonderful chart.  Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I found this thread while doing some searches preliminary to asking for some help/pointers on exactly this topic.

Thanks; I’ve downloaded your .pdf, might come back for the assets you offered.

Thanks again, this has already been very informative.

Lionel

45 minutes ago, LionelD said:

I found this thread while doing some searches preliminary to asking for some help/pointers on exactly this topic.

Thanks; I’ve downloaded your .pdf, might come back for the assets you offered.

Thanks again, this has already been very informative.

Lionel

Excellent!...I am pleased you find it useful..:)

• 7 months later...

Brilliant! I don't understand some of it but I'm sure as I evolve as a brush maker that the concepts will become clearer.

I have researched and tried to find a book about vector brush creation but have been unsuccessful in my search, so this doc you have created is awesome. Thanks for putting this together for us.

• 7 months later...
On 9/9/2020 at 1:39 AM, TJH Art Studio said:

This will be great because I want to draw more realistic looking animal fur and human hair using vector. I know that a lot of layers will be used to get the results but it will be worth it. Thank you.

Hi,

There are a few sets available non the forum that were built some time ago that you may find useful. I have listed then below with links
Vector Brushes
These are based on the principles in the tutorial

Vector

1. Project Brush InkBrush Set 07 and Vector Paint Sample Set 12

2. Vector Paint Brushes
This set was not released on the forum but will give you an idea of what you can achieve

3. Project Brush 04 (Ammonite)
This is a mixed set containing both raster and vector brushes (It's quite old now and build for a specific project). The Raster set was updated recently! but the vector set still needs some work..but you may find them helpful in what you are trying to achieve.

Raster
1. Fur Brushes (Raster)
Raster set of fur Brushes (have not been updated to 1.7 brush engine yet!)