You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can't print exported PDFs

Right now I'm having an issue where all exported PDFs that have text won't print. To verify this I made a document with text only. It exports fine and displays in acrobat correctly, but as soon as I try to print acrobat gives a "This document could not be printed" error. Note I tried a variety of fonts. I also tried printing from other computers and I get the same error. If I convert all text to areas/curves it works fine. So it seems to be directly related to fonts. Any ideas?

• Staff

Hi MajesticFlame,

Could you attach a copy of the AFPub file you are exporting, along with your resulting PDFs that won't print and also a screenshot showing all of your PDF Export settings (found under 'More').

I just tried it on a Mac that has a fresh install of acrobat and the problem still persists. Please note this is on Acrobat Professional 8. It doesn't have any issues with PDFs made by InDesign CS3.  I haven't tried to print anything from Publisher in a few updates so it may be a recent change that caused the issue. I know the PDF files I made in earlier versions of the beta printed fine.

Edit: I have tried printing on 4 computers with Acrobat 8 and they all have the issue.

Edited by MajesticFlame
Updating info.

7 minutes ago, bebez71 said:

Try to change the pdf compability to 1.5

Tried and still a no go. I've actually went ahead and tried all the modes. Two work, flatten and web, neither which we would use. Hopefully that can help narrow down the issue though

Perhaps try unchecking the Use advanced features option found by pressing the More button?

I don't have 8 Pro, I use v.11 Pro. I just reinstalled v.9 Pro and it works. However I am using Windows so someone with a Mac and an older Acrobat version will need to step in.

You might see if Reader DC can print your PDFs. If it does, perhaps something changed in the system that Acrobat 8 doesn't like. 

I have Acrobat 10 and find the occasional PDF that it doesn't handle correctly. I think it's just too old, and yours is even older. When that's the case, I either open it in Preview or Acrobat Reader (latest version) and there is no problem.

For what it's worth, it prints fine here with Acrobat 10.

Did print fine in Reader DC. Still hoping it can be fixed for 8 though, especially since it used to work and it could cause issues with other PDF readers. Might be able to get them (employer) to buy Publisher when it is released but there is no way they'll pay for subscriptions for DC pro. Who knows, maybe I'll be working elsewhere by then.

39 minutes ago, MajesticFlame said:

...but there is no way they'll pay for subscriptions for DC pro. Who knows, maybe I'll be working elsewhere by then.

If you need the features that Acrobat Pro has, there is always pdfToolbox. 

PDF toolbox would work but they won't purchase that either. Anything that they MIGHT be willing to buy needs to be cheap. And since InDesign CS3 still works fine with Acrobat Professional 8 they would just stick with that. 

We have to check color seps for any problems before they go off to the printer. We send the files and the plates get made and thrown on the press almost immediately so things can get missed easily so we like to verify things are correct in case the printer misses something.

We used to use a printer where we could do that on their proofing system but the new printer doesn't do that. They switched due to cost, new printer is quite a bit cheaper I guess.

I appreciate everyone's help and suggestions though.

Thanks!

On 5/3/2019 at 3:25 PM, MajesticFlame said:

Test.pdf

I can print your PDF without complaints, both in Apples "Preview.app" (v. 9.0) and in Adobes Acrobat Pro (v.10.1).

On 5/2/2019 at 9:47 PM, MajesticFlame said:

"This document could not be printed"

Might this issue be exterior of AfPub? At Adobe for instance? It seems to be a known issue:

https://www.google.com/search?b&q="This document could not be printed"

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• Staff

Thanks for the files! Unfortunately I'm still unable to reproduce the issue. I have Acrobat DC and that prints without an issue on Mac and I was able to find a Windows trial for Acrobat 8 and that also prints OK. I was unable to find a trial for the Mac, so cannot try it using a very similar environment to you. I'll pass it on to development to see if they might be able to shed any light on the issue.

• Staff

Hi MajesticFlame,

I've had a reply from development who has suggested it is likely to be font related. given that converting fonts to curves avoids the problem, and that 'For Web' also prevents embedding of common fonts, although he can't see any relevant changes in the code since the beta began.

Would it be possible for you to try some exports using the same settings as before, but trying to export with 'Subset fonts' disabled. If that still does not work does 'Embed Fonts' set to No Fonts allow you to print? Could you also try exporting without 'Include Hyperlinks' and 'Include Layers' checked and see if one of those is causing the issue?

If you still have some of the PDFs that were known to print in the early beta, could you try printing them again to check they still work. If they don’t, that would suggest something has changed with your setup rather than Publisher. If they do print, and you still have the Publisher file, could you make a new PDF using the latest beta and attach it (along with the original working PDF) so we can try to see what may have changed between the two.

I've also created a test file and export (with the same 'For Print' preset) using Designer 1.6 could you try seeing if that prints in Acrobat 8 please? If so could you then load the .afdesign file into Publisher, re-export and try to print that. If that fails to print could you attach the resulting PDF please?

Thanks!

Test1-6Document.pdf

Test1-6Document.afdesign

11 hours ago, Sean P said:

I've also created a test file and export (with the same 'For Print' preset) using Designer 1.6 could you try seeing if that prints in Acrobat 8 please? If so could you then load the .afdesign file into Publisher, re-export and try to print that. If that fails to print could you attach the resulting PDF please?

Thanks!

Test1-6Document.pdf

Test1-6Document.afdesign

The PDF you created printed fine. The one I exported using the default 'For Print' settings gave me the "This document could not be printed"  again.

Disabling Subset Fonts did allow it to print. I've attached both the first file I exported using the default settings and the one with No Subset Fonts as well.

Test1-6Document.pdf

Test1-6DocumentNoSubset.pdf

Note, I don't have any PDFs from the earlier betas so I can't attach any files for that. Sorry.

• Staff

Wonderful! I'm glad disabling 'Subset Fonts' option is a workaround for you when exporting document. I'll pass it on to development to see if they can get to the bottom of what is different between those files, and why!

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.