You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Registering Affinity Products

Recently purchased both Affinity Designer and Photo via Apple App Store, but found when first launching the products that neither offered the option to register them with Serif.

I subsequently contacted Affinity support, and they agreed that there was indeed no registration process, and only products purchased through the Serif shop would automatically be registered.

Indeed, even within this response I was not given the option to register manually via email so, to all intents and purposes, Serif will never have me on their database as a licensed customer, and raises the question of future software update difficulties.

As a graphic designer, I have, over the years made numerous professional software purchases, predominantly from third party vendors, and it is the norm to be presented with a registration option on first launch. After all, most software publishers prefer to know who is officially using their products so as to keep the customer updated in terms of both product development and news.

Is this situation likely to be remedied?

Edited by JohnWClark
Grammatical correction.

• Staff

As you say Affinity does not need registering. If you buy from Apple you can still have an Affinity Store account for any extra content you may have claimed but it would only record this free content, not the original third party order.  You would also have an Affinity Store account if you had bought any other goods from us such as the Workbooks.

You are still eligible for free updates until we get to version 2.0 but these updates are provided by Apple rather than us.

In addition to the Affinity Store account you have the option to sign up for our Newsletter. This is our primary means of notifying our customers of any product development or other upcoming news.

3 hours ago, JohnWClark said:

Recently purchased both Affinity Designer and Photo via Apple App Store, but found when first launching the products that neither offered the option to register them with Serif.

I subsequently contacted Affinity support, and they agreed that there was indeed no registration process, and only products purchased through the Serif shop would automatically be registered.

Indeed, even within this response I was not given the option to register manually via email so, to all intents and purposes, Serif will never have me on their database as a licensed customer, and raises the question of future software update difficulties.

As a graphic designer, I have, over the years made numerous professional software purchases, predominantly from third party vendors, and it is the norm to be presented with a registration option on first launch. After all, most software publishers prefer to know who is officially using their products so as to keep the customer updated in terms of both product development and news.

Is this situation likely to be

2 hours ago, SFurniss said:

As you say Affinity does not need registering. If you buy from Apple you can still have an Affinity Store account for any extra content you may have claimed but it would only record this free content, not the original third party order.  You would also have an Affinity Store account if you had bought any other goods from us such as the Workbooks.

You are still eligible for free updates until we get to version 2.0 but these updates are provided by Apple rather than us.

In addition to the Affinity Store account you have the option to sign up for our Newsletter. This is our primary means of notifying our customers of any product development or other upcoming news.

To be fair, I have already signed up for said newsletter, together with purchasing the two Affinity Workbooks from yourselves. So I think I've got most eventualities covered.