You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Do all effects and gradients get rasterized?

I'm playing around with some flames where I have 3 layers. Bottom is an orange color, middle is only an inner glow of a reddish orange and top is a red gradient to give base of flame some more color. Every time I render a PDF I get pixelation.

When I turn off the inner glow middle layer I only get pixelation toward the base where I have the red gradient. When I just render the bottom orange layer alone, everything is crisp. So my conclusion is most, if not all, effects and gradients will get rasterized on PDF export. Am I correct? If I am, is this a PDF export issue or is it something that has to be refined with AD?

Just trying to trouble shoot this so I know how to build things, or render things, in the future.

Thanks!

MEB,

Quick question, aren't linear gradients that use a transparent fill also rasterized when exported to PDF and EPS? I know with EPS they are but I wasn't sure with PDF? For some reason, when I export any gradients as PDF (all linear gradients and all with regular solid fills in the gradient) they all get rasterized (at least if I open them up in Illustrator they appear as images but I'm using an old version of Illustrator and that might be the reason). Glad to hear that support for vector elliptical gradients will be added in the future.

• Staff

It's all about what the PDF specification allows for... and that differs based on version of PDF that you're targeting. At present we use Apple's built-in PDF output, so we have very little control, but we're already typing away at our own PDF export with support for user-selectable target PDF specification so we should be able to improve things a lot in the future :)