You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Table inside text frame

Hi.

I was Page Maker user... And today InDesign user.

I make a lot of jobs with very long tables (157 lines at least/8 pages)

And to do this, I aways make a text frame with a table inside to paginate one table to many pages as needed. For me, this is a InDesign key feature, and missing it on Affinity Publisher.

More than this, I see a feel problems with table that I already shared on "issues report", and right now I discovered a "issue" that I cant copy and paste tables inside APub.

I included all that information inside video that follows.

7 hours ago, Ricardo Gurgel said:

nd to do this, I aways make a text frame with a table inside to paginate one table to many pages as needed.

Hello @Ricardo Gurgel,

tables that span across several pages are not available yet. I do unfortunately not know of a way to do what you want.

You could set up paragraph styles with tab stops that might look the same. But you were not able to select columns as there are no columns.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

• 2 weeks later...

Though the InDesign method of spanning tables (via spanned text boxes) is clever, I hope Publisher will allow tables to span on their own (without needing to insert it into a text box).

Let's say you have a lengthy table and copy it.  Now you have two or more of the same table with duplicate info/text.  After spanning between the copied tables, the info/text in the table would no longer be separate copies but would combine and adjust as a single block of information as a single table should.  I hope that made sense.   Well, no matter how it is done by the programmers, I look forward to this table-spanning feature, and second Ricardo's request.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/13/2019 at 5:57 AM, Lensman said:

Though the InDesign method of spanning tables (via spanned text boxes) is clever, I hope Publisher will allow tables to span on their own (without needing to insert it into a text box).

And what about if the tables need to flow with text?

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

Agree with Jeremy, there is many use cases where you can make clever use of paragraph styles, underlining, rules and tabs.
Also agree with others -- tables inside text frames (especially master text frames to keep everything nicely inside the layout) that flow with the text and can span several pages or columns are important (but probably not essential for the first release).

I'd like it, if Serif did some careful thinking about this ... maybe had a quick look at what InDesign and Quark 2019 are doing ... and re-designed or extended tables some time down the line? Maybe a juiced up version of the "pinned objects" feature?

The fact that instead of inline graphics they did it differently with the "pinning" feature makes me think that for now they are going a different route. Hopefully down the road there will be actual inline images and tables. For my day job I'm often putting graphics inline with the text, and sometimes even a graphic in a table in a text frame. This can come in handy when doing complicated business forms. Then if you have to move things around, you know that everything is coming along for the ride.

6 hours ago, Jens Krebs said:

... maybe had a quick look at what InDesign and Quark 2019 are doing

InDesign handles tables way better than Quark. I don't know what the new version of Quark (2019 which will come every moment) is going to bring. But I don't think there will be inline tables.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

6 hours ago, Jeremy Bohn said:

instead of inline graphics they did it differently with the "pinning" feature

Pinned objects are inline objects -- just a bit more flexible.

18 minutes ago, Jens Krebs said:

@Petar Petrenko

Here's a preview of Quark 2019 tables -- they are inside the text frames and have some spiffy new formatting tools:

https://www.educandi.co.uk/blogs/news/quarkxpress-2019-ptables-reimagined

Thanks @Jens Krebs. I have seen that video but I missed the info about the inline tables. I've just seen some fency formatings. :)