chrisfreeq

[By Design] Flood tool not working

The flood tool doesn't work. At all... It just doesn't do anything. The only thing I can see it doing, is changing the tolerance when click-dragging around an image.

1. In the context toolbar (next to where you see the tolerance changing) make sure the Mode is set to New or Add

or

2. In the layers panel make sure the image layer is selected then right-click it and select Rasterise (just in case it is an image layer)

If none of that works post a full screen screenshot showing the layers panel and the flood tool selected

Due to the fact that Boris Johnson is now our Prime Minister, punctuation, spelling and grammar will never be worried about ever again.  We now have far bigger problems to be concerned about.

9 hours ago, carl123 said:

1. In the context toolbar (next to where you see the tolerance changing) make sure the Mode is set to New or Add

or

2. In the layers panel make sure the image layer is selected then right-click it and select Rasterise (just in case it is an image layer)

If none of that works post a full screen screenshot showing the layers panel and the flood tool selected

Ah okay, I didn't know about Image / rasterized layers, I'm fairly new to the application.

I did a bit of erasing on the layer, and then the tool worked. I guess it gets rasterized upon editing, then?

Thanks for you help @carl123

Posted (edited)

Actually, after I edited the layer using the flood tool, I scaled it. And after scaling, the Flood tool doesn't work again, on the same layer...

Seems like a bug to me, am I doing something wrong?

EDIT: Nevermind, had "Subtract" selected this time :-P

Edited by chrisfreeq
Error in user

8 minutes ago, GabrielM said:

Can you please attach a screen recording of this in action? 

It was my fault, you can close the case :-)

19 minutes ago, chrisfreeq said:

I did a bit of erasing on the layer, and then the tool worked. I guess it gets rasterized upon editing, then

Certain actions/tools will automatically rasterise an image layer and turn it into a pixel layer, others will not.

You will get used to this over time.

For now if something does not appear to work always check the layers panel to see if the layer you are working on is an "image" layer or a "pixel" layer.

Most tools will work as expected on "pixel" layers but "image" layers have their uses for certain other stuff.

To convert an "image" layer to a "pixel" layer just right-click it and select Rasterise

Due to the fact that Boris Johnson is now our Prime Minister, punctuation, spelling and grammar will never be worried about ever again.  We now have far bigger problems to be concerned about.

1 minute ago, carl123 said:

Certain actions/tools will automatically rasterise an image layer and turn it into a pixel layer, others will not.

For those that do not, some add a pixel layer on top of the image layer, some pop up a warning message and others do nothing at all. This kind of inconsistency is not helpful to the user!

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.3.155 • Designer for iPad 1.7.3.1 • iOS 12.4.1 (iPad Air 2)