You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cannot move nor adjust images in picture frames

Am I supposed to load pictures onto the master page?

That's the only way where I get some control and can move the images.

When I load the images into a picture frame on a page, I have no control. I cannot move them, cannot adjust them, cannot remove them (only load new images on top of them)

The moment images are loaded into a frame they are locked.

Is this a but, or is it a feature? How do I use this feature? I cleanly cut the head off a lady just now, and can't get it sawn back on. So, as a gentleman, I'm in trouble, and roses won't help for the indecent treatment of the lady...

When you say that you "cannot move them" it's not clear what you mean.

You might mean that you cannot move the images around on the page. Or you might mean that you cannot move them around within the picture frame for cropping purposes.

It's also not fully clear to me whether the picture frame on the document page was inherited from a Master Page, or whether you created it directly on a document page.

I suspect there is something simple (but fundamental) you don't understand about Master Pages, or Picture Frames, or both. If you were to supply a sample .afpub and a concise statement of what you need to do to it that isn't working, that might help.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Master pages are "templates" for regular pages.  They contain content or layout aspects that will be identical on every page they are applied to - page number in the corner, header on the top, some kind of frame that every page of the same type should have, etc.

If you place picture frames or text frames on the master page, you are indicating that you are placing them there because you want some kind of content to be in the same place at the same size on every page associated with the master.  This is to help improve consistency between pages, particularly useful in longer documents.  A master page representing the first page of a book chapter might have the content of the chapter start at a certain position down the page, leaving room for a large chapter number and title, for example, and perhaps have some kind of framing design that reflects on the overall design of the book.  Each chapter can then have different content in the text frame, but it will be in the same place for all of them.

A picture frame is not required to position an image in Publisher.  If you find that you are having trouble with the behavior of a frame, you might consider simply dragging an image onto the page from a Finder/Explorer window and not using a frame at all.

If you do use a frame, note that you can move the frame together with the image, move it without moving the contained image, or move the image without moving the frame, depending on how you approach it.  You can only see the part of the image that is within the frame boundaries, so moving the image outside of the frame effectively crops it.  Many people need to crop a lot of images being added to the document and like the frames for the convenience of being able to crop the images with them.  Personally I think they are most useful on master pages, to provide consistent positioning of a defined layout.  For images that are independent of such concerns I am not likely to use frames in Publisher, or at least not often.

On 5/1/2019 at 4:24 AM, walt.farrell said:

When you say that you "cannot move them" it's not clear what you mean.

You might mean that you cannot move the images around on the page. Or you might mean that you cannot move them around within the picture frame for cropping purposes.

It's also not fully clear to me whether the picture frame on the document page was inherited from a Master Page, or whether you created it directly on a document page.

I suspect there is something simple (but fundamental) you don't understand about Master Pages, or Picture Frames, or both. If you were to supply a sample .afpub and a concise statement of what you need to do to it that isn't working, that might help.

EDIT:

I just saw the image placement tool - which didn't work in v.293   started working in .305

I can now put images into the document without using picture frames.

Screen Shot 2019-05-02 at 2.47.09 PM.png

The frame is locked, because it's on the Master Page. You need to click on the image, not the frame, I think. But I haven't played with that recently, and I'm not near my computer right now. More later, if someone else hasn't cleared it up.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 5/1/2019 at 6:01 AM, fde101 said:

Master pages are "templates" for regular pages.  They contain content or layout aspects that will be identical on every page they are applied to - page number in the corner, header on the top, some kind of frame that every page of the same type should have, etc.

If you place picture frames or text frames on the master page, you are indicating that you are placing them there because you want some kind of content to be in the same place at the same size on every page associated with the master.  This is to help improve consistency between pages, particularly useful in longer documents.  A master page representing the first page of a book chapter might have the content of the chapter start at a certain position down the page, leaving room for a large chapter number and title, for example, and perhaps have some kind of framing design that reflects on the overall design of the book.  Each chapter can then have different content in the text frame, but it will be in the same place for all of them.

A picture frame is not required to position an image in Publisher.  If you find that you are having trouble with the behavior of a frame, you might consider simply dragging an image onto the page from a Finder/Explorer window and not using a frame at all.

If you do use a frame, note that you can move the frame together with the image, move it without moving the contained image, or move the image without moving the frame, depending on how you approach it.  You can only see the part of the image that is within the frame boundaries, so moving the image outside of the frame effectively crops it.  Many people need to crop a lot of images being added to the document and like the frames for the convenience of being able to crop the images with them.  Personally I think they are most useful on master pages, to provide consistent positioning of a defined layout.  For images that are independent of such concerns I am not likely to use frames in Publisher, or at least not often.

Thanks.

I was not able to move a frame with the image. I can move the frame on the master page, but there is of course no image in it, as the image was loaded onto the specific page.

On the specific page I cannot move the frame as it is locked on the master page. So I don't see how I could move a frame with a picture inside it.

I also cannot find most of the picture frame controls - I have screenshot the manual. I only have the controls until "stroke properties". But "Presets" are not there. Sometimes I have more controls there, sometimes less. But never "presets"

Screen Shot 2019-05-02 at 2.53.29 PM.png

11 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

The frame is locked, because it's on the Master Page. You need to click on the image, not the frame, I think. But I haven't played with that recently, and I'm not near my computer right now. More later, if someone else hasn't cleared it up.

The picture placement tool - which didn't work in .293 (always filled document to the edge with it) - now started working in .305

So I'm relieved of picture frames, Walt. 

Much easier this way and I can move them around and grow and shrink them.

Hooray!

10 minutes ago, World View said:

Only: it does not work. I select the frame, and I can't do anything, not resize, not rotate, nothing. It's frozen.

I've noticed this also, I think it's a bug and have reported it as such.  Try expanding the frame in the layers panel and selecting the actual content layer (the picture) from there.  Make sure you have the move tool selected.

3 minutes ago, fde101 said:

I've noticed this also, I think it's a bug and have reported it as such.  Try expanding the frame in the layers panel and selecting the actual content layer (the picture) from there.  Make sure you have the move tool selected.

Yes, I got really careful about always selecting the move tool - sometimes the keyboard shortcut "v" is unresponsive and I have to click the symbol.

For now I have sworn off picture frames - as I discovered the picture placement tool (not working in .293 and spreading images all over the page) is working. Sooo much easier.

Another strange thing about the picture frame tool is that not all controls are available in the toolbar. I could never access the "presets" mentioned in the help documentation as it simply wasn't there.

36 minutes ago, World View said:

Another strange thing about the picture frame tool is that not all controls are available in the toolbar. I could never access the "presets" mentioned in the help documentation as it simply wasn't there.

The presets control is a gear icon; that and other controls are missing when the frame is locked, which happens automatically if you select a frame from a master page when editing a normal page.  If the frame is not on the master page, or if you are editing the master page (or change the editing mode to Edit Linked or Edit Detached) then those additional controls show up.