You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

ESC to deselect

I'm sure I mentioned this before in an earlier 1.7 beta, but Photo is still doing this in the latest beta...

- select an object with the Move tool

- press the ESC key

- the History panel adds "Deselect" to the list, but the object is still selected

- worse, you can keep pressing ESC and fill up the History panel with more and more "Deselects"

Unless I'm missing something, this seems wrong.

macOS Mojave

Also happens on Windows (Photo beta 1.7.0.293). Yes, that seems wrong and I think it's a bug.

And, yes, you mentioned it before, but as you did not create a topic for it it seems to have been lost.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Maybe deselect does not mean what you/we think it means in this case

If you add a gradient to an object, the ESC key will deselect any active node on the gradient

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

The ESC-key is a "multi-tool". Its also meaning "close current float-window", so keep this in mind. If you use ESC and your last mouse-action was eg. removing a the brush-panel.... ESC will close the brush-panel instead deselect. So focus your layer first, before hit ESC.

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!

59 minutes ago, >|< said:

As I wrote earlier today, esc key in AP never deselects a layer. When the history says "Deselect" it means the document pixel selection has been cleared.

I agree with @>|< - Deselect means pixels - if you look in the Select menu, Deselect is near the top and has cmd-D as shortcut, further down the Select menu is Deselect Layers - this is what you're after - since Esc also works as a shortcut for Deselect (Pixels), maybe you could reassign Cmd-D to Deselect Layers

It might be helpful if the Deselect in Select menu was renamed Deselect Pixels to save this confusion.

MacBook Pro M1 Max, macOS 12.6.1 Monterey
Affinity Designer : 2.0  Affinity Photo: 2.0,   Affinity Publisher: 2.0

18 hours ago, Jeremy Bohn said:

pressing ESC repeatedly just fills up the History with Deselect

If there was nothing selected and you are in effect deselecting nothing, then I agree, that should not add history entries.

On 5/1/2019 at 6:24 AM, carl123 said:

Maybe deselect does not mean what you/we think it means

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

For me, Deselect means whatever was selected before is no longer selected. If the developer has another meaning for it then they should change that word. I've seen a few other places where they don't seem to use the right word too.

For the example in my original post, I had selected an image with the arrow tool. It has the blue selection handles around it. Pressing ESC over and over simply fills up the History panel, and the image still has the selection handles around it. It's not a huge thing to me, it just seems really wrong.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.