You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi, I'm completely new to vectors/ Affinity Designer and enjoying using it but really struggling with one thing, subtracting text from multiple shapes.

I want the black text in the first image to be clear, so need to subtract it from the white stripes, grey stripes, and white stars beneath. 

They are all in different layers/groups, and as you can see from the second picture multiple groups within layers. 

When I select the layers and text the subtract tool is greyed out. I've read a few other posts about similar subjects and it seems I have to convert to curves?

But can't get my head around it or work out how to apply it all to my file. 

Been driving me mad all week so any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

Screenshot 2019-04-30 at 22.15.25.png

Screenshot 2019-04-30 at 22.17.44.png

• Staff

Hi LukeJS,

Welcome to the forums :)

Without you full document I can only make suggestions, but try setting the blend mode of the text layer to Erase and ensure it is above any layer you wish for it to be subtracted from.

If this isn't what you're looking for then please let me know!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

If you mean "subtracting" like booleans AD can do it (and with text objects too):

960908648_Screenshot640_optimized.thumb.jpg.0a58cb67864813f3a5a603524f6695fc.jpg

Here cursor is unfortunately in "Xor", and result:

Screenshot 641_optimized.jpg

But if pixel rendered result as Dan C showed is enough it is perfectly cool.

Hello, thank you both for the replies. 

I need to keep everything as vectors so cannot change to rasters unfortunately.

For context, the design is being printed onto a bottle, and the text I'm trying to subtract won't be printed , leaving it as clear glass. 

So I am trying to erase/clear/subtract it from the printed areas of the design (the white and grey areas).

I set the blend mode to erase as advised but now the text is showing as white?

I have it so that the text is directly above the three layers I want to erase it from, but it doesn't seem like it's erased anything from those layers?

Thanks

Screenshot 2019-05-01 at 18.00.08.png

Hi, LukeJS,

Looking at the layers panel, I infer the groups are rows of stars. Objects cannot be subtracted from groups. Ungroup the starts, all of them, and add them in. Add all the diagonals. Subtract the star curves from the diagonals. The text can then be subtracted from the diagonals w. star holes. If the document has a white background color, and is not set up to be transparent, that white remains under the subtracted remains.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

20 minutes ago, gdenby said:

Hi, LukeJS,

Looking at the layers panel, I infer the groups are rows of stars. Objects cannot be subtracted from groups. Ungroup the starts, all of them, and add them in. Add all the diagonals. Subtract the star curves from the diagonals. The text can then be subtracted from the diagonals w. star holes. If the document has a white background color, and is not set up to be transparent, that white remains under the subtracted remains.

Thanks, yes this sounds like what I need to do as it's the groups I think I'm having trouble with. 

What do you mean when you say add them in though, add them in to what? If I ungroup all the stars there's hundreds of them!

Thank you. 

Thanks for all the answers, really appreciated. 

Still haven't managed it though. I need the stars/stripes/grey to be kept separate (as they are paint layers in the design), just need to clear the text area from them.

So frustrating as I could do it in seconds in raster but I have no clue with vectors. 

Sorry if I was not quite clear, I was just about to go out the door to a legal meeting. I should have said add them together, not add them in. That will create a mesh of stars that can be subtracted as one object from the stripes, which would also need to be added into one object.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

Huion WH1409 tablet

Just read your reply. I'm not certain why you made them paint layers, but if they are vectors, they can be rasterized after the text is subtracted. Most work can be done as all vectors, and rasterized as needed. That way, the shapes can be moved, resized, recolored, etc w/o generating pixel artifacts till the end.

Huion WH1409 tablet

Oh no sorry when I say paint, I mean they will be layers of paint on the bottle. Not digital paint layers. 

The grey is frosting/opaque glass, the white is paint, and the text will be clear (glass). 

The bottling company needed the design in vector so i've had to recreate it from scratch in Affinity, and making this one little bit of text clear is the last thing I need to do. 

I have been trying to do it for days and have read all the posts etc I can find on the subject but still can't manage it, I'm tearing my hair out!

If the bottling company needs all vectors, try this. Add the stripes that will be the etched glass together. Duplicate the text layer, convert it to curves, ungroup, and add the letter shapes into 1 shape. Then subtract from the stripes. Repeat w. the star array. I don't know how the bottle making process works, but I suppose they 1st etch the glass w. a stencil that protects the areas to remain clear, and then apply a stencil that will hold the white enamel for the stars. 

If they can provide info about their process, it might help setting the vector file up.

Huion WH1409 tablet

Saved with history so you can jog back and forth in the history panel: Vodka logo text knocked out.afdesign The relevant parts start about halfway across in the history panel.

Screen-Shot-2019-05-02-at-07-42-58.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

On 5/2/2019 at 7:44 AM, firstdefence said:

Saved with history so you can jog back and forth in the history panel: Vodka logo text knocked out.afdesign The relevant parts start about halfway across in the history panel.

Screen-Shot-2019-05-02-at-07-42-58.png

Hi, so going through the history, the parts that say 'union' where the curves are merged together, how do you do that? Once I've done that I should be able to do it :)

I've realised I can attached the whole file so I have done. I started ungrouping the stars but there's so many I thought I could just ungroup the ones I need to subtract from?

(Also I realise how tacky the design is but it's what the client wants...sigh!)

Thanks!

Ballin Vector Final V2.afdesign