You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

When I open your file the text on page 1 is no pure black.

picked-colour.jpg

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

What a joyride. Finally found the bugs. Attached PDF has 100% Black for text.

1. Openend your file with my ICC profile since yours seem to be different. Exported for print. Result not 100% Black.

2. Openend your file with no ICC profile conversion. Exported for print. Result not 100% Black.

3. Openend your file with no ICC profile conversion. Use document profile. No ICC embedded. Result not pure 100% Black, but far better with some small amounts of other colours. Being on a good way, having a clue what still was wrong.

4. Openend your file with no ICC profile conversion. Use document profile. No ICC embedded. Unchecked Overprint Black. Tadaaa: Text 100% Black.

Conclusion: Still some work for Serif on the export.

Added: Overprint black seems to sum up all the values for colours even when lying beneath the text.

testfile-7.pdf

Edited by Joachim_L
Added information

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Hello Joachim,

Thank you for all the research - i've repeated your test n°4 and: tadaa ! Success ! I would however prefer to use an icc profile so, yes, still some tweaking to do by affinity. Being able to export the lay-outs is obviously crucial. But for now I'm saved.

Thanks again !

• Staff

Hi Franky Drappier,

How was you checking the CMYK values post export? Are you using Output Preview in Acrobat? If I set this to be the same profile that you used in your document it is correctly reporting 100% Process Black and no other colours. I get the same behaviour from Illustrator on export when converting the document to FOGRA39. See attached screenshots (unfortunately it didn't grab my cursor, but that was placed over a piece of text using 100% K).

I don't know what profiles your printer requires, but you could clarify with them that they are getting 100%K. Alternatively you could try using US Web Coated (SWOP) for your export if that is possible?

Output Preview Simulation Profile FOGRA39.png

Output Preview Simulation SWOP.png

Stupid me. I am using always PSO Coated/Uncoated v3, so I overlooked that. Sorry. Sean is correct. If you stay with the same colour profiles it works. Just one question left: If Overprint Black is checked in the export settings, then Black = C0M0Y0K100 has to overprint and not cut out? If yes, then this does not work. See image.

overprint-black.jpg

------

Hello Sean,

Thank you so much for your reply.

I work with different printing shops and have only had remarks from one. The first time there was an issue with the pdf giving weird results in their "rip" (don't know exactly what and how). This problem was solved by making the pdf compatible with an older version (2003). The second remark was about the 100% black issue.

I've included a screenshot of the settings I generally use for export (print settings 1), and one of the settings I use for this particular printer (print settings 2).

print settings 1.jpg

print settings 2.jpg

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.