You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello, 

I just bought my first brush pack in the Affinity store. I could easily install them in Affinity Designer, but it doesn't work in Affinity photo (desktop for Windows). When i import them, i have a message saying they've been added (as i did this multiple times, it say the name is *brush pack 2, brush pack 3* and so on), but they don't show in my brush panel. 

I tried to create a new category first but it didn't work either. 

I would like to find the location folder on Windows to uninstall all those packs that didn't work and find a way for it to work !

Thanks a lot in advance for your help, 

joujou_tdj

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @joujou_tdj. :)

We can only use raster brushes, not vector brushes, in Affinity Photo. Unfortunately, we still get a success message when importing vector brushes into APh, even though we can’t use them in the app.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Oh what a deception... i didn't see they weren't compatible with Affinity photo :( 

Any chance they will in the future ? Like a vector-raster conversion or something ?

And where should i go to uninstall them, as it seems they've been stored somewhere ?

Thank you very much for your answer, regards

There will be a file in your

%AppData%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\user\

folder, but it contains all of your brushes, so there’s no easy way to get rid of only the useless ones. :(

Edit: Please see Walt’s reply to my post. I stand corrected!

Edited by Alfred
Alerted to incorrect info

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

3 minutes ago, Alfred said:

There will be a file in your

%AppData%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\user\

folder, but it contains all of your brushes, so there’s no easy way to get rid of only the useless ones. :(

That folder will have a file raster_brushes.propcol with your raster brushes. If you've managed to install (unusable) vector brushes, it will also have a vector_brushes.propcol file. That would be the one to delete.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, joujou_tdj said:

I just bought my first brush pack in the Affinity store.

Which one did you buy?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Oh well.. thanks

I'm trying to use the brushes in Affinity Designer, tried the pixel persona to get an eraser but the brushes are only available in the vector persona :/

I was really hoping to draw with those... it feels so bad cause all the tools are here, they just can't work together !

It's the grave etcher pack

To help you with future purchases, the Serif Store does show that one as only for Designer:

image.thumb.png.84fcb0e4ad7b01a82310649e2ddbf7af.png

Note that the icons for Designer are in color, but the ones for Photo are grayed out.

-- Walt
PC:

I'm trying to use the brushes in Affinity Designer, tried the pixel persona to get an eraser but the brushes are only available in the vector persona :/

I was really hoping to draw with those... it feels so bad cause all the tools are here, they just can't work together !

You can use the eraser in the Pixel Persona to erase lines you've painted in the Vector Persona. It creates a new mask layer to hide the "erased" part of the stroke, but it is removed visually from the image. I'm not sure there's anything else you could do working in vectors, and I think that would be true even in Photo if it supported vector brushes.

-- Walt
PC:

• 3 years later...
On 5/1/2019 at 5:03 AM, walt.farrell said:

raster_brushes.propcol

That's handy. I did the opposite and installed raster brushes into Affinity Designer. I found the file here C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Designer\1.0\user\raster_brushes.propcol. I moved it to C:\temp and tested again and sure enough no more numbers in the import. Of course, have to remove file again after test.

image.png.33c8fcad0e850322177909a2c104eecf.png

16 minutes ago, Zacatzontli said:

That's handy. I did the opposite and installed raster brushes into Affinity Designer.

Designer supports raster brushes, too. Just switch to the Pixel Persona.

You can also delete the raster brushes using the Brushes panel when you're in that Persona; no need to muck about with the .propcol files for that case.

-- Walt
PC:

On 8/18/2022 at 7:36 AM, walt.farrell said:

Designer supports raster brushes, too. Just switch to the Pixel Persona.

You can also delete the raster brushes using the Brushes panel when you're in that Persona; no need to muck about with the .propcol files for that case.

Awesome. Thanks 🙂

You're welcome.

-- Walt
PC: