You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Keeps hanging on text import v.305

6 minutes ago, KipV said:

Upon restarting I am now able to import that document but the text isn't positioned the way I set up the text box. I had to go back and reposition the text box because it made it's own text box on import.

If you're saying that you ended up with two text frames, then perhaps you didn't have your text frame selected when you did the Place operation?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

If you're saying that you ended up with two text frames, then perhaps you didn't have your text frame selected when you did the Place operation?

I dragged out a box and with the insertion point blinking and then went to import. Is that what you mean by having it selected or do I select the text box with the arrow tool?

15 minutes ago, KipV said:

I dragged out a box and with the insertion point blinking and then went to import. Is that what you mean by having it selected or do I select the text box with the arrow tool?

No, that's what I meant. Very odd, then, that you ended up with two of them.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

Hi KipV

Can you attach the offending file please? If you do get any issues that are file specific then please attach the file. If it is a file that you do not wish to share publicly that is not a problem as we can give you an upload link!

Thanks

• Staff

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

Hi KipV,

Thanks for the file, it is not crashing for me on import. However importing it as a table is the correct behaviour, because that is how the text has been created/formatted inside the docx. See attached screenshot of the document in Word (I've hidden the text for privacy reasons).

Word.png

• Staff

Hi Kip,
That screenshot has been taken from Microsoft Word and shows that the text is inside of a table object. I get a similar look when I place in Publisher, because it has pinned a table (containing all the text) inside the text frame, so it doesn't look pretty but the behaviour is correct.

I am glad to hear Publisher is working right. I don't know enough about Word or using Word as a layout tool or tables inside of Word to know how things should work in that area. I am sure it would probably import better if it was just saved as plain text. I would think adding tables should be done with in the layout tool rather than the text file. 

That makes me think, with InDesign there is a way to strip out all (or nearly all) text formatting. Is that a feature that is available in publisher? 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.