You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

File size exported in very large pdf

I created a text-only file of 768 pages in custom format slightly larger than an A4. The publisher file weighs about 85Mb, but when I go to export it to PDF for printing it reaches the size of about 5Gb taking a long time. Creating the same file in inDesign the generated pdf is only 18Mb. Are there any further optimization for export to pdf?

example.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Might the export get a font issue with embedding? The resulting PDF might contain text as curved instead. You could try with a sample page and different font to exclude a font issue.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

2 hours ago, thomaso said:

Might the export get a font issue with embedding? The resulting PDF might contain text as curved instead. You could try with a sample page and different font to exclude a font issue.

I did this test but the result does not change much. The file always remains too large.

Your .zip might not been compressed or uploaded correctly. Unpacking your .zip results for me in an error: "Unexpected end of file (Error #-39)", in both of my two downloads.

1 hour ago, thomaso said:

Your .zip might not been compressed or uploaded correctly. Unpacking your .zip results for me in an error: "Unexpected end of file (Error #-39)", in both of my two downloads.

I get "(Error 2 - No such file or directory.)"

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

41 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

I get "(Error 2 - No such file or directory.)" 

That varies with the unpacking app.
(since the .zip takes 71 MB, I did not trust the initial "No such file or directory" and tried "BetterZip", "Stuffit Expander" and "The Unarchiver")

I see a lot of curved text in an exported PDF. That is a reason for both slow export and large PDF file size.
The curved text seems to be doubled text blocks, one on top of the other: curved in the background, text at front.

I could not find the text duplicates in the .afpub - but I also don't see a reason why it should happen on export only. I don't understand the layout structure yet with all linked text frames. Somehow I get the impression the document was created automatically, also may be an OCR process is a reason for the text dups.

Thank you Thomaso, your comments made me understand where I went wrong. In creating the styles I duplicated an existing one that had the outline set and thus cascaded for the other styles. This causes the text to be curved. Removing from the styles the settings related to outline the resulting pdf file is 99Mb. Acceptable even if even bigger than the 18Mb of InDesign. Perhaps some other trick could better optimize the pdf.

image001.jpg

9 hours ago, robertosola said:

one that had the outline set and thus cascaded for the other styles. This causes the text to be curved. 

I assume outlined text can not be the reason for neither duplicated nor curved text in your PDF.
See attached a PDF with outlined text but not curved.

170312-1 outline text not curved.pdf 

I understand, but simply by removing the text delimited by the paragraph styles the size of the pdf has dropped to 90Mb.
I don't want to take advantage of your availability but you can directly check by removing from the paragraph styles the delimitation on the text from the previously uploaded file.
Of course I would be curious to find out if there are other reasons that cause the excessive size of the pdf.
Thank you very much for the time you are dedicating to this problem of mine and for the clarifications you have managed to give me and that I am sure you will give me again.

The curved text on export seems to be related to a corrupted document or corrupted text frame objects; I can't see any removable setting which would cause or prevent these unwanted text doubles and curving on export.

If I copy/paste a frame to a new document it exports as curved its outlined text, too – whereas if I copy/paste some text (with your original style, incl. outline) into a new text frame it exports fine.

I also notice in your document that fill text fills with words "italiano" + line breaks only, regardless what fill text language I choose in my AfPub preferences. It occurs in your existing text frames on master and on documents page - but not in a new created text frame.

By the way: to achieve an 8-page print I recommend not to layout such a complex document, especially when it has 700+ pages. Instead you better layout pages in final media size (with 1x content instead 8x) and multiply them with AfPubs print options ("N-up") on a paper size of your need, either to paper or to PDF.
Advantage: less+ faster work in .afpub (for you + the app, too) & more flexibility for the output (more paper sizes).

Thanks again for the support. Excellent suggestion you gave me for the press. I was looking for him but I didn't realize he was in that position. However I didn't understand if from this section I can save the pdf in Acrobat 5 format (pdf 1.4).

For "Italian" text frames could it be due to the font settings (see image) where I force the language?

stylefont.png.9572b58d7ddd45e19af938809f33de35.png

1 hour ago, robertosola said:

However I didn't understand if from this section I can save the pdf in Acrobat 5 format (pdf 1.4).

That multiple page option is available for print only, not for export. To achieve a PDF instead of printed paper you may use a print-to-PDf function. In macOS it is available by default in the lower left corner at the PDF pulldown menu in the print options window.
To achieve via print a particular PDF version you may either install an additional pdf-printer or convert with an additional tool the resulting macOS-PDF to the wanted version (for instance Acrobat).

1 hour ago, robertosola said:

For "Italian" text frames could it be due to the font settings (see image) where I force the language?

Hopefully not. You can try it yourself, don't you?
To define "Filler Text" you may use a separate application preference. That should not be saved with a document but as a users particular application pref. When to me in your document as filler text those "italiano"-block appeared I checked my filler text setting: it was set to "None" and had no manual assigned text in its optional text field, also switching to any language did not influence the output of the "italiano"-block. (that also made me assume a corrupted document, besides the doubled and curved text on export)

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.