Pattou

Text styles : can I modify the pre-existing ones by... ?

Hi,

I am obviously not a DPS expert. I did use a few times ID for books, flyers, posters etc. When I dealt with these tasks, I often did set up my text style after creating a text frame and adjusting the paragraph as I wanted. All I had to do is to create the style in the style panel... so easy.

In APub, I assume I can do the same with new styles but can I (and if so, how) modify a pre-existing style by selecting my text like in ID or QXP ? I can not find the way to do this... I can apply a pre-existing style but can not modify it according to my text/paragraph.

Thanks.

Cheers,

Patrick

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - Intel Core i7 5820K 3.30 GHz - NVIDIA GTX 1070 - Samsung SSD 850 Pro 1TB - RAM 64 Go

4 minutes ago, Pattou said:

I can apply a pre-existing style but can not modify it according to my text/paragraph.

You can modify existing styles in the Text Styles pane from; View > Studio > Text Styles. The Paragraph and Character panes/studios are for doing adjustments to selected text.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) Mac OS 10.12.6 || Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 10.14.5

Affinity Designer 1.7.2 | Affinity Photo 1.7.2 | Affinity Publisher 1.7.2 | Affinity Designer Beta 1.7.2.2 | Affinity Photo Beta 1.7.2.151 | Affinity Publisher Beta 1.7.2.458

You can easily update the pre-existing style - applied to your text and changed as you wanted - from the panel Text Styles via the sub menu of the style with "Update name-of-the-pre-existing-style" or button on the button "Update Paragraph Style" / "Update Character Style".

2 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

You can modify existing styles in the Text Styles pane from; View > Studio > Text Styles. The Paragraph and Character panes/studios are for doing adjustments to selected text.

Thanks for your quick reply Old Bruce. However, I did open this panel and in the menu I can not find "Modifiy..." (or whatsoever) but only "Apply..." ??

text style.PNG

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - Intel Core i7 5820K 3.30 GHz - NVIDIA GTX 1070 - Samsung SSD 850 Pro 1TB - RAM 64 Go

Double click on the name of one of the styles, that will open a pane filled with things you can change.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) Mac OS 10.12.6 || Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 10.14.5

Affinity Designer 1.7.2 | Affinity Photo 1.7.2 | Affinity Publisher 1.7.2 | Affinity Designer Beta 1.7.2.2 | Affinity Photo Beta 1.7.2.151 | Affinity Publisher Beta 1.7.2.458

3 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

You can easily update the pre-existing style - applied to your text and changed as you wanted - from the panel Text Styles via the sub menu of the style with "Update name-of-the-pre-existing-style" or button on the button "Update Paragraph Style" / "Update Character Style".

Thanks Joachim... Well, it works if I do as in the video tutorials : I type my text, I click on a pre-existing text style, change my text and update the style.

However, if I first type my text, set up my § as I want it to be... I can not find a way to update any pre-existing style ?!????

1 minute ago, Old Bruce said:

Double click on the name of one of the styles, that will open a pane filled with things you can change.

This way, yes. I can modify the style as I want. But I am used to first set up all my styles in a text frame and update the styles.

Thanks.

Patrick

It does not work to update existing styles on a current selection if no style is applied to the paragraphs , but you can use the +-icons on the bottom of the the Text Styles panel to create new styles based on your current selection.

9 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

It does not work to update existing styles on a current selection if no style is applied to the paragraphs , but you can use the +-icons on the bottom of the the Text Styles panel to create new styles based on your current selection.

Thanks for confirming that.

Cheers,

Patrick

Thinking about this : why do we need this bunch of pre-existing text styles since we can easily create new ones based on paragraphs within text frames... I do not see the rational... but as I wrote before, I am not accustomed to DPS.

Thanks to light my way :)

2 hours ago, Pattou said:

why do we need this bunch of pre-existing text styles since we can easily create new ones based on paragraphs within text frames.

They are a fantastic way to show what can be achieved with styles in Publisher. You are not forced to keep them however.

If you are creating a new application then just delete them by going to the Burger menu to the right of the Text Styles and selecting Detach and Delete all Styles.

19 hours ago, Seneca said:

They are a fantastic way to show what can be achieved with styles in Publisher. You are not forced to keep them however.

Fine, why not... but they could be even more versatile/useful if we could simply modify them once the paragraph styles are setup within the document text frames IMHO. This way, they could accommodate all types of workflow.

On 4/30/2019 at 3:46 PM, Pattou said:

Thanks Joachim... Well, it works if I do as in the video tutorials : I type my text, I click on a pre-existing text style, change my text and update the style.

However, if I first type my text, set up my § as I want it to be... I can not find a way to update any pre-existing style ?!????

The approach Joachim explained can be used to update any pre-existing style. The trick is to avoid applying the style you want to update. You can do that by using right-click on the name of the style, or a normal click on the menu icon to the right of the style name, in the Text Styles panel. Either of those will bring up the menu for the pre-existing style without applying it. You can then edit or update it safely.

4 hours ago, Dave Harris said:

The approach Joachim explained can be used to update any pre-existing style. The trick is to avoid applying the style you want to update. You can do that by using right-click on the name of the style, or a normal click on the menu icon to the right of the style name, in the Text Styles panel. Either of those will bring up the menu for the pre-existing style without applying it. You can then edit or update it safely.

Thanks Dave.

I create a new document, draw a text frame, write and edit one sentence, right click (or click on the menu icon) and select "Apply "Intitulé1" to Paragraphs (or Characters) And Preserve..."... APub crashed instantly.

Crash reports sent.

Capture.JPG