You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Matching line spacing?

Hi there
Can you please help?
Attached are two screenshots. 

One: shows the poem with the correct line spacing
Two: shows the problem poem. The line spacing is much too wide.

BUT - the control panel settings seem to be exactly the same??
I must be missing something.

Question 1: how can I change 'two' to the same spacing as 'one'?

Question 2: I also need to make this change to 35 other poems in the book.
Is there a way I can copy the formatting of the poem in 'one' and apply it to the other poems to prevent having to adjust each one manually?

Thanks for your help.

Screenshot 1.png

Screenshot 2.png

That looks to me like it could be related to Paragraph settings, not Character settings.

Or it could be related to poem #1 using linefeed between lines and #2 using returns, which would give paragraph breaks.

Showing us the Paragraph panel for each might help. Also, from the menu, Text > Show Special Characters  would be useful to see what characters are used.

If you could share a .afpub file of those two poems that would also help.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thank you Walt. The 'Show Special Characters' makes it clear that you are right. 1 = linefeed. 2 = return key.

That gives me a problem of how to equalise the line spacing. I really don't want to retype most of the poems.

Time for a glass of wine and some deep thought!

Meantime thanks once again - much appreciated :)

21 minutes ago, olaf willoughby said:

I really don't want to retype most of the poems.

Use the GREP feature of the Find.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

22 minutes ago, olaf willoughby said:

Thank you Walt. The 'Show Special Characters' makes it clear that you are right. 1 = linefeed. 2 = return key.

That gives me a problem of how to equalise the line spacing. I really don't want to retype most of the poems.

Time for a glass of wine and some deep thought!

Meantime thanks once again - much appreciated :)

Could you try "Find and Replace?"    Cut and paste the special character symbol for Paragraph (the return key symbol) into FIND, and then cut and paste the special character symbol for Line Return into the REPLACE box, then hit Replace All.    Worth a try!!

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

12 minutes ago, jmwellborn said:

Could you try "Find and Replace?"    Cut and paste the special character symbol for Paragraph (the return key symbol) into FIND, and then cut and paste the special character symbol for Line Return into the REPLACE box, then hit Replace All.    Worth a try!!

Doesn't require cut and paste. The Find and Replace fields each have a pulldown that lets you enter the special characters directly.

Also, Replace All feels risky. I'd probably do them one by one :)

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

40 minutes ago, olaf willoughby said:

That gives me a problem of how to equalise the line spacing. I really don't want to retype most of the poems

An alternative to retyping or Find and Replace might be to select a poem that has the wrong appearance and assign a paragraph style that is defined as having no space between paragraphs.

That might still require a bit of work for poems that have multiple stanzas.

-- Walt
PC:

10 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Also, Replace All feels risky. I'd probably do them one by one :)

There is always EDIT>Undo in case it doesn't work.    Replacing each line would be one whale of a tedium, based on 35 poems!:53_cold_sweat:

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.

5 minutes ago, fde101 said:

When I am faced with something like that, I usually replace the first few one at a time to make sure it is doing what I expect, then hit Replace All to get the rest.

I subscribe to the old navy saying, "Full speed ahead and d*mn the torpedoes!"    Oh, well.

5 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

That looks to me like it could be related to Paragraph settings, not Character settings.

Or it could be related to poem #1 using linefeed between lines and #2 using returns, which would give paragraph breaks.

Showing us the Paragraph panel for each might help. Also, from the menu, Text > Show Special Characters  would be useful to see what characters are used.

If you could share a .afpub file of those two poems that would also help.

Thanks for the clue as I was starting wonder if it was a bug. My font spacing on both font sets were too spread out. Now I can move on... :)563598450_fontspacing.thumb.jpg.2b75727dd26c15fcc5eabc73459d6724.jpg