You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Bug: Export PDF converts Text to curves

I am working on a flyer with various fonts in it, but when I tried to export it, all text is converted to curves. I have tried several settings, but they don't change a thing. I could not find any embedding restrictions on the fonts. This is really annoying, I hope you can fix this. I have created an empty document with a basic font, and exporting this worked OK, so I guess it is somehow font related. I am not sure how to troubleshoot the issue though?

I experienced such with PDF/X- export only. And, yes, it was font related. – You might have more success with a newer PDF version 1.6 or 1.7.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

No, I tried several PDF versions, several settings, changed fonts, but no cigar... I created a new document with just a text box, and tested several fonts that I know can be embedded without any problem. The results seem almost random which embed and which are changed to curves, but certainly the more complex fonts never embed (but do without problems in indesign). Some were embedded in the wrong way (I had a font replaced by some symbols?) 

This needs to be fixed, as it is a serious issue if it can not be relied upon. Converting to curves is the safest option, but it inflates file size enormously.

4 hours ago, postmadesign said:

tested several fonts that I know can be embedded without any problem.

In my experience it was not necessarily related to the ability of embedding of the particular font. For instance some weights of Adobe Univers did not work for me, others did - whereas all can be embedded. – However, your experience sounds more weird and disturbing, indeed.

I'd like to see if I get the same result, to see if such might be related to computer or system or different application prefs. If you want upload an .afpub + font file at a dropbox and send the link as PM.

You can force text to be converted to curves with a setting under File > Export > PDF > More > Embed Fonts. Assuming that isn't happening, Publisher may convert fonts to curves automatically. That can happen if the text has a gradient fill or bitmap fill, or if PDFLib doesn't understand the font.

9 minutes ago, Dave Harris said:

You can force text to be converted to curves with a setting under File > Export > PDF > More > Embed Fonts. Assuming that isn't happening, Publisher may convert fonts to curves automatically. That can happen if the text has a gradient fill or bitmap fill, or if PDFLib doesn't understand the font.

Hi Dave, 

I know that these settings exist, and have tried several ways to get the fonts to embed. But it seems to do so randomly, as I have tested several fonts in other apps like indesign, and here it embeds without problems. Fonts with more complex curves seem to never embed, whereas more regular sans serifs do, but not consistently. I attached a PDF (PDF for Print, subset font embedding) made in Publisher .305 with various fonts, all with a simple black fill. Some fonts seem to do OK, others don't, none have embedding restrictions. I can't really find a pattern.

Untitled1.pdf

It is very strange, I did another test with the exact same settings, and still some fonts are converted to curves, some not. They are all OT or TT fonts, no embedding restrictions... Some are activated by FontXplorer, some system fonts. Sometimes when using 2 fonts in a text box, the one is converted, the other not... This is really frustrating as I can not find a pattern, and it seems a serious issue.

• Staff

Hi postmadesign,

Would it be possible for you to attach a copy of your afpub file you are exporting please, along with any related used fonts? Without this we cannot investigate as to what might be the cause of it getting converted to curves! 

Thanks!

15 hours ago, A_B_C said:

Hmm … so Alegreya Sans is converted to curves … unfortunately, I don’t see that here. No conversion taking place. 

After you tested with fonts installed already: when I export without fonts installed then I may alter letters within the PDF on each line:

64942673_testfontscurved-afpubpdf.thumb.jpg.78a16970f39478ed9e78f1f1773fed03.jpg

Different to the OT's pdf, where the 1st line appears to be curved but the lines below appear as text boxes (and simply missing the not-installed fonts):

1419475938_testfontscurved-TOpdf.jpg.3e764c33a755c33fd6b2a90d480accc5.jpg

It seems I have found the problem: it appears that FontXplorer has some kind of problem with fonts that appear to be activated and visible but are not actually really activated at all. I am not sure what causes this, but after deactivating and re-activating the fonts, they are correctly embedded. InDesign CS5.5 had given me warnings of missing fonts, even though they had been activated in FEX. Reactivating these fonts solved this problem. As these issues seemingly did not occur in Affinity, I assumed it was an indesign issue. Now it seems it is indeed some kind of issue with FEX. If I run into more issues or find what causes them I will get back to you, thanks! I might try it with another font manager to see if I get better results.

• Staff

Hi Postmadesign,

Glad you're back up and running! Now you've mentioned it I believe other people have had this issue, but its not something I've ever been able to replicate - and by the sounds of it seems to be a slight hiccup with FontExplorer!

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.