You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pinning grouped object problem with text

It's great to see the pinning function, but if I pin a grouped object that includes a text frame, the text in the frame is changed for some reason. In the screenshots below, the first shows the grouped object with an F in the first frame, while the second shows the F missing which happens the moment I press "float" or "inline". This behaviour happens whether the F is inside the coloured box, or is in a separate text box grouped on top of the coloured box. For some reason, the moment I press float or inline on the grouped object, the F grows dramatically and therefore "disappears"--see third screenshot. 

Any ideas!?!

Cheers!

Screenshot 2019-04-29 at 11.31.11.png

Screenshot 2019-04-29 at 11.31.29.png

Screenshot 2019-04-29 at 11.33.31.png

• Staff

Hi @Gavin Anthony,

We have a couple of issues logged relating to grouping objects (especially containing text frames) however I am struggling to replicate what you seem to be experiencing.

Can you upload your file here so I can take a bit of a closer look?

Thanks

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

Just a guess as I don't have it in front of me to play with it right now and test this theory: pinning an object makes it a child of the text box it is pinned to.  If the "host" text box was scaled using the hanging-off-the-lower-right scaling handle, is it possible that the size of the text in the pinned object is suddenly inheriting the scaling effect of the host text box?

46 minutes ago, fde101 said:

Just a guess as I don't have it in front of me to play with it right now and test this theory: pinning an object makes it a child of the text box it is pinned to.  If the "host" text box was scaled using the hanging-off-the-lower-right scaling handle, is it possible that the size of the text in the pinned object is suddenly inheriting the scaling effect of the host text box?

Thanks for your thoughts, but in my case, I did not scale it using the scaling handle....

8 minutes ago, Gavin Anthony said:

Thanks for your thoughts, but in my case, I did not scale it using the scaling handle....

ok, then that rules that out.  As I said, it was just a guess.

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, VectorWhiz said:

Is it possible to move the image's pin to a different position in the text?

Just drag the pin to a different location and reposition the graphics either manually or with the help of Studio-> Pinning

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/12/2019 at 2:46 PM, VectorWhiz said:

Tried that. Doesn't work. I mistakenly posted this question on this forum, I should have posted it to the Windows PC forum.

Moving the pin around isn't possible in inserted filler text. It appears to be possible in a placed docx-document however.

Home: https://vectorwhiz.com  : : : :  Portfolio blog: https://communicats.blogspot.com

10 minutes ago, VectorWhiz said:

Moving the pin around isn't possible in inserted filler text.

Do you have the Preferences > General  Insert filler text as text checkbox ticked?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

15 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Do you have the Preferences > General  Insert filler text as text checkbox ticked?

That or use expand field (in the context menu) to convert the filler text to editable text

On 7/10/2019 at 9:25 PM, Old Bruce said:

9 hours ago, fde101 said:

That or use expand field (in the context menu) to convert the filler text to editable text

Thanks! These options helped.

Home: https://vectorwhiz.com  : : : :  Portfolio blog: https://communicats.blogspot.com

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.