You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Color change when paste screenshots on iMac2017

Hi,

I have a trouble with screenshots taken using MacOS screenshot tools on iMac 2017.

The color changes slightly when pasting screenshots into the documents on both Affinity Photo and Designer.

This issue is not occur on my MacBook pro 2013.

My OS version MacOS 10.14.4

Affinity Photo version :1.6.7

Is there way to solve it? Thank you for any help.

AffinityColorProblem.jpg

Edited by armajirou

• Staff

Hi armajirou,

Welcome to the forums.

Which tool or shortcut are you using the capture and what is the source? How are you then getting that into Affinity Photo and are you then simply Copying and Pasting within Photo? As you shouldn't really need to use the capture within Photo to paste again after the first but if you can expand on your workflow, it may help.

Also on your MacBook Pro 2013 I assume you repeat the exact same steps with Affinity Photo?

Hi Lee D

I use shortcut shift+command+4 when capture screenshot. And paste it by command+v on Affinity Photo. I repeated capture and paste to make it easy to feel the color change caused by pasting screenshots.

I tried same steps on my MacBook Pro 2013 but this problem did not occur.

• Staff

It's not something I can reproduce and I don't believe anything in Affinity is causing the issue. Try comparing the Colour Profile between your macs in System Preferences > Displays. The default profile will usually be set to sRGB 2.1

Hi >|<,

Thanks for your information.

Is the problem caused by MacOS? On my machine, this problem does happen when using MacOS10.14.4.  How is the color profile of your Affinity document set when the problem does not happen on your Mac with macOS10.13.6?

If changing the display settings causes another problem, I will return the setting to "iMac". Changing settings only when capturing screenshots seems to help me avoid the problem.

I hope the problem is resolved with the next OS update.

2 hours ago, >|< said:

My 10.13.6 installation does not contain a non-P3 "Color LCD" display profile alongside the P3 "iMac" display profile, but the 10.12.6 does.

FWIW, I am not sure why any iMac would include a "Color LCD" profile in /Library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays, other than maybe if files were copied from a laptop Mac at some point, like with migration assistant or manually by a user. I checked my iMac bootable backup disks for 10.12.x 10.11.x & also in Time Machine backups for my iMac going as far back as 2014, & none of them have a "Color LCD" profile anywhere on them that I can find, not even in System/Library/ColorSync.

A web search tells me that the "Color LCD" profile is Apple's factory default display profile for laptop Macs, & that the name as displayed in System Preferences > Display > Color tab applies to several different ones depending on the laptop it shipped with (so for example, it is nearly identical to the "Display P3" factory default profile for the 2017 MBP's but not for older MacBooks that don't have as wide a gamut screen).

Regardless, there doesn't seem to be any good reason for there to be a "Color LCD" profile in /Library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays on any iMac (since it won't match the characteristics of the iMac's screen & is probably an older one from some Mac laptop anyway). Several web sources suggest it should be deleted if present at that path on an iMac to avoid issues, although there isn't any specific info I can find about what those issues might be.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

4 minutes ago, armajirou said:

Should I remove the file named "DELL 19....icc"? I think it was created when I previously connected the sub display to Mac. And I don't use it.

You can if you no longer use the Dell monitor with your iMac, but it should not hurt anything if you leave it there. Just don't choose it in the System Preferences > Display > Color tab for your iMac's display! 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

But you'll probably find one called iMac (if you have an iMac) or Color LCD (on a laptop), which is selected. This is the profile your Mac is using. You can check Show profiles for this display only to hide all the profiles that aren't for your display.

If you see a lot of profiles in the list with names like iMac or Color LCD, it's worth checking their dates. If you've upgraded from one Mac to another, copying files from the older computer, you might find that an old profile, created for a different display, has been carried over. Select a profile and click Open Profile to see some detailed information about that profile. The Created date shows when you set it up; if it's older than your current Mac, or its display, go ahead and delete it. (You won't have the option to delete system profiles.) ...

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

27 minutes ago, >|< said:

Yes, that is the profile that is confusing Affinity in the same way as the Color LCD profile can confuse Affinity. If you will never plug in the DELL monitor, remove the profile. If you do wish to keep it, I can give you another iMac profile to use, which is identical to the factory profile but it will enable Affinity to not be confused.

Removing the profile solved my problem!

The problem does not happen with the Display Profile set to "iMac".

Thank you so much :)

Edited by armajirou

1 minute ago, >|< said:

If you do wish to keep it, I can give you another iMac profile to use, which is identical to the factory profile but it will enable Affinity to not be confused.

Just curious, but does your iMac display profile include a hexadecimal suffix like in @armajirou's last screenshot, or is it just "iMac" with no suffix? As I understand it, ones with the suffix indicate a profile for a specific iMac, either those made with Apple's Display Calibrator app or for certain iMacs like my old 2012 model, those that came with an individually factory calibrated profile for their screens.

Also, for what little it is worth, I added several really old (circa 2011) display profiles to my iMac's Library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays folder from Time Machine backups, including for an old Sony CPD-200ES monitor & generic ones for VGA & NTSC/PAL tv's. None of them cause any issues with screen captures or anything else in Affinity or any other app. Time permitting, I will see if I can find the "Color LCD" profile from in my very, very old MacBook & copy it into the iMac's folder & see if that causes any issues.

Affinity Photo 

1 hour ago, >|< said:

My 10.12.6 installation which includes the Color LCD profile is the factory installation which was on the iMac when purchased. I am 100% confident that the profile was not copied from another machine.

I don't know what to tell you other than several web sources (including the one @v_kyr mentioned above) suggest that a factory fresh installation on an iMac should not include a Color LCD profile in the Library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays folder, not for 10.12.x or for any other Mac OS version.

If you don't mind posting it, I would like to know what ColorSync Utility says is the creation date for your Color LCD profile in the Header section, or maybe attaching it to a reply so I can see how it affects my iMac.

Affinity Photo 

20 minutes ago, >|< said:

Look, I do not care what "several web sources" say - I know for a 100% certainty that I have never copied profiles from another computer to this Mac. Period.

Be that as it may, I have now installed both your Color LCD profile & the one from my Early 2008 MacBook into my iMac's /Library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays folder, restarted Affinity Photo & Designer, & still no sign of any problems with with screen captures or anything else that Finder's Get Info window says is using the iMac color profile.

So if this is an Affinity bug of some sort, maybe it only affects certain iMacs like those with Retina displays?

Affinity Photo 

5 minutes ago, >|< said:

Forget it, R C-R. I've wasted too much of my life arguing with you in this forum.

Then why do you continue to do that? Seriously, I am just trying to find out what the bug is & what Macs it would affect. If you have no interest in that, I get it, but others besides myself might.

Affinity Photo 

30 minutes ago, >|< said:

Usually its because you've posted errors, misinformation or misconceptions that are likely to mislead readers.

What have I posted here that contains errors, misinformation, etc.? I have simply provided info about my iMac & the various installs & backups I have that do not include any Color LCD profiles, that on my iMac even the presence of your & several other Color LCD profiles does not cause any problems with any Affinity app, & that according to a number of sources they should never be installed by default on any iMac.

35 minutes ago, >|< said:

I've made a new thread in the AP beta bugs forum because the problem affects the beta and not only the retail software.

But it clearly does not affect every Mac.

Affinity Photo 

I tried the another test.

I captured a screenshot with cmd-shift-4 when there is not Dell profile in the /Library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays folder. And after drug and drop the screenshot file to Affinity Photo document, I confirmed that the color is R:256, G:0, B:0 with Color Picker Tool.

Then I put the Dell profile in the /Library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays folder again from backup, and restart Affinity Photo. And drug and drop the same screenshot file to Affinity Photo document. Color Picker Tool showed R:235, G:66, B14.

So as >|< said, the color change happens when a screenshot is added to the document in Affinity with Dell profile. And whether the problem occurs or not depends on existence of the Dell profile clearly. 

• Staff

@R C-R & @>|< Please can you both step back and take a breather here. I do not want to have to edit anyones post but will do if this continues.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 1 year later...

Hello,
since this problem is still around (iMac Pro 2017, Affinity 1.9, MAC OS Catalina) I want to bring up a suggestion.
When I

•  take a screenshot via Cmd+Ctrl+Shift+4 
  • Go to Gimp
    • Make New doc from clipboard Cmd+Shift+V
    • Select All Cmd+A
    • Copy Cmd+C
  • Go To Affinity Photo
    • Paste Cmd+V

the colors work just fine and Gimp takes care of the profile conversion.

Because Gimp is open source, would it be an option to take a look inside Gimp's source code to check out how they handle color profiles in the "New Document From Clipboard" function and translate it to Affinity's code base?

I see that Affinity is kind of the new kid on the block and therefore can not (yet 😜) kick ass in every department. Considering other softwares are around for 20+ Years. But I think this screenshot issue is one annoying thing that may not affect much people. Because not everybody takes a screenshot from a document and pastes it straight back just to see the slight color shift. But even for those who do not recognize this issue or even know about it, there is a potential risk to take a screenshot once in a while, edit it in Photo and get not exactly what one would expect from professional software without even noticing. Repeat this error several times (maybe some workflow depends on taking screenshots) and the colors shift even more.

I would really love to see this issue be taken serious and get solved in the near future especially when there are free open source apps that can handle the same case flawless and the solution should be publicly available for everyone to look at.

Thanks for your Work!
Cheers,
Clemens

• 1 year later...