You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello,

I tried to install 1.70.305 over the previous version x.x.293 on Windows 10, latest version. The insatallation failed, as it has done in the past. I'm using a 27" Samsung HD monitor at full resolution 1920X1080. This is a problem you should definitely finally solve if you want to promote sales for the Windows platform.

On the sunny side, glad to read that docx files can be imported. Now it would be nice to have the possibility of integrating functionality via ole for spreadsheets, etc.

Cheers,
Dave

3 hours ago, dth said:

I tried to install 1.70.305 over the previous version x.x.293 on Windows 10, latest version. The insatallation failed, as it has done in the past.

Common fixes:

1. Reboot and try again. (Failures to install are often an underlying Windows problem, not a problem with the application being installed.)
  2. If that doesn't work, right-click on the installer .exe file in a File Explorer window, and choose Run as Administrator.

If neither of those work, press the Windows key and R, then type %Temp%\AffinitySetup and that should bring up a File Explorer window. It will have subdirectories. Find the one with the date and time that match the time you tried to install and it failed, and look at the files inside it. You should see a Setup.log and SetupUI.log. Browse each, and look for the word Error.

What error message does that give you?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 1 month later...

Hi Walt,

Thanks for the reply. One of the suggestions helped -- with the 1.7 versions of Designer and Photo that were automatically signalled today. I am using Win 10-64, updated today, but before the new versions of Affinity. Both Designer and Photo produced a "Setup failed" window, which is entirely new for these programs. Previously it happened only with Publisher beta installations.

Since I never have any problems with installing or updating other problems, I must suppose it to be Affinity specific, perhaps specific only to Windows. In my opinion, the team still has some homework to do. A Win restart solved the problem today, so maybe the installation routine should include one to avoid the failure. That wouldn't overtax the coding team, would it?

All the best,
Dave

Setup failed.png

I have the same problem as described with Affinity Photo, I had updated Designer the same day with no problems. I have tried 3 times now and even tried going back to one update install I had missed, but the same result of failed.

The file size for the download on the screen on the website is larger than the download indicated size when actually downloading - has something been mised out?

I will try Administrator suggestion.

If that does not work should I completely uninstall? which has implications for the addons - which I would also have to re-install ;-(

4 hours ago, JohnBIpswich said:

Failed with Adminstrator  as I expected.

Did you ever get a complete download? It sounds like you were having problems with that.

Have you tried rebooting Windows?

What version of Windows are you running (including details of the version and build numbers from Windows Settings, System, About)?

Do you see anything in the setup logs (see my post above for their location).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi Walt, Jon, John,

After I rebooted Windows (1903, freshly updated) the installations worked without a problem for both Designer and Photo.

However, I still think the installation module has to be checked out. Windows changed something that obviously affected PagePlus X9, which no longer responds correctly.

Cheers,
Dave

• 2 weeks later...

This seems to be an ongoing problem.  Both the beta 404's for publisher and designer do it -- Install fails and requires a windows re-boot to install. Stating "this is a windows problem" when no other software on my systems has this problem is suspect.

For new users,  this could be troubling .  Maybe adding a note in the download area would save a lot of support questions?

(05mar2020) Ryzen 1800x, Gigabyte AX370 K7, Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB NVME-M.2 SSD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G2 PS, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 442.50 (01mar20), LG Ultra HD (2), Win 10 Pro x64 18363.657, Affinity Photo/Designer 1.8.1.604 beta & Publisher 1.8.2.603 beta

7 minutes ago, jaftwo said:

This seems to be an ongoing problem. ... Stating "this is a windows problem" when no other software on my systems has this problem is suspect.

I would be more specific: "it's some Windows problem".

I only had once a problem installing those applications, usually doing it on a Win7 system, a Win10 tablet and at work on another Win10 system. Counting Bêta and Final versions. There's so many hardware and software configurations possible, I thanks the teams to pinpoint and debug each time user encounters a problem.

Having Win10 updating frequently and modifying parameters can be a pain too!

But you're right, some fast troubleshouting like rebooting can be added at the end of the download post.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.