You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crash when pasting text

The newest Affinity Publisher Public Beta - 1.7.0.305 crashes when I paste text from the clipboard.

Steps:

Select some plain text in a text editor( Cmd-C).

Open a new publisher document (Cmd-N)

Paste the text (Cmd-V)

C R A S H

Previous betas worked just fine.

My OS is macOS Mojave 10.14.4

Anyone else?

51 minutes ago, macmacmac said:

Paste the text (Cmd-V)

Are you really pasting text without first creating a Text Frame?

If so, it shouldn't crash; it should just ignore your attempt to paste.

Your workaround, which would be needed even if it didn't crash, would be to create a Text Frame first :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Crashes here too, once with the move tool selected,

Affinity Publisher Beta_2019-04-29-113222_Mac-Pro.crash

-----------------------------------------------

and once with the frame text tool selected.

Affinity Publisher Beta_2019-04-29-113314_Mac-Pro.crash

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

34 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Are you really pasting text without first creating a Text Frame?

If so, it shouldn't crash; it should just ignore your attempt to paste.

Your workaround, which would be needed even if it didn't crash, would be to create a Text Frame first :)

I used to paste the text and the text frame was created automatically (at a random size). Now it crashes.

Well I'm willing to learn the correct approach and will start to create text frames first. Thank you.

3 hours ago, macmacmac said:

I used to paste the text and the text frame was created automatically (at a random size). Now it crashes.

As far as I know that's not supposed to work, but I suppose there's some hidden function I didn't know about :)

I can confirm that trying to paste without first having a Text Frame also crashes on Windows.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

It seems to crash only if the text has been copied outside of Publisher.
Then it crashes both with move tool and with text tool.

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

As far as I know that's not supposed to work, but I suppose there's some hidden function I didn't know about

To me it's no hidden feature, I'd expect to paste anything from the paste board, either text or image. Mac typical only?

When I copy text from a Publisher text frame and paste it does not crash but creates a text frame with the copied text. Both with text tool and with move tool an no object selected. The cursor position does not matter, the frame gets created in the middle of the page and has the ratio of the page.

When I copy an area of an image in Macs "Preview.app" I can paste it without object selection in Publisher, both with text tool or move tool.

[ by the way, "Flycut" is a free smart app for MacOS which creates a menu icon where you can select-paste from a pulldown list any of your recent pasteboard text content. It also saves its list after reboot. https://itunes.apple.com/de/app/flycut-clipboard-manager/id442160987?mt=12 ]

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• Staff

I'm getting a crash when pasting in any text with the move tool active, which is most definitely a bug. As Walt highlighted you can workaround it by just pasting directly into a text frame.

I've logged this, thanks for reporting.

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

15 hours ago, macmacmac said:

used to paste the text and the text frame was created automatically (at a random size). Now it crashes.

11 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

As far as I know that's not supposed to work, but I suppose there's some hidden function I didn't know about

If you paste from Word a text frame is automatically created but not from text editors like Notepad etc, they just crash Publisher v305

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

I had been selecting text frames via move tool and pasting text without problem.

Then.... suddenly..... when selecting move tool via keyboard shortcut "v"

..... the moment I touched the letter "v" ....  110V high electricity raced through my body... just kidding...... but Publisher crashed... 

on High Sierra... no crashes (knock on wood) when pasting text without formatting  command + option + Shift + V from text edit  (couldn't copy/paste from Scrivener, got strange white backgrounds behind the letters)

I shouldn't have made fun of it...

Just five minutes later: crash of Publisher v .305  when trying to paste text into a text frame.

That thing learns fast!

Edit: and a while later, the paste process worked without problems... which proves my case that Affinity Publisher is listening in, and if you make a bad joke (which it considers a bad joke, then you are it, and it will crash you :)  )

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.