You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hey friends of Affinity Designer, 

I need to create an icon with a very complicated structure. This is the structure I need to simplify and put in a circle: Coral Tuile...!!! water...........................80 g oil................................30 g flour.............................10 g coffee extract...........1 drop salt.................................QS food colouring...............QS 1. mix all the ingredients. 2. heat up a non-stick frying pan without oil. 3. pour a table spoon of the mixture into the pan. 4. cook for a few minutes until you don't see the bubbles. 5. remove from the pan and drain on paper towels. #patissier #patis...

Do you have any idea about which steps I have to take? 

Thank you for your help! 

~Jessie 

Hello chocomel,

I don't know if this is right for you because the structure will not be simplified....
You can draw a circle over the photo on the area you want to keep, then in the layers panel, move the circle to the right of the photo thumbnail until you get a vertical blue rectangle to the right of the thumbnail.

Icône_structure.gif

You can convert the photo to curves ("Layer", "Convert to curves"), draw the circle over it (Transparent and without contour), then do a Boolean operation "Divide". Then select the top and bottom layers in the layer panel and delete them. There remains the circle filled with the structure. If you use the "Node" tool you can change the shape without touching the filling.

Photo cannot create vector icons such as you want. However, it can create patterns which could then be submitted to a pixel-to-vector program. Could I suggest that you start by creating a Perlin Noise image (Filters > Noise > Perlin Noise ) This creates a fuzzy pattern, but you can convert this to one with discrete levels, or even just black-and-white.

Perlin Noise is a tricky thing. I had trouble producing it. My eventual method was:

I have got it to work, by what can only be described as a circuitous route. From my blank layer, I created an empty Levels Adjustment layer, then Merged visible. This created a pixel layer which responded to the Perlin Noise filter as expected

If you think that this could be useful to you, let me know and I will try and produce a tutorial.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Hi, chocomel,

Do you mean you want everything to be a vector representation of the odd slice thingy? BTW, what is that?

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Did a trace and got this: Red wafer thingy.svg

Screen-Shot-2019-04-29-at-18-05-20.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

A result from running the sample image thru A-Photo to clean it up some. Then a trace in Inkscape. Then some color work back in AD. The resulting vector file was quite large, 4+ Mb, so offering a visual only.

RedReticulation.thumb.jpg.3d9ef8419fd6bc2c09bcfd839d32b502.jpg

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet