You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

New to the forum and this software but I just started doing sublimation and have a few questions if any one can offer some insight, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm having issues with getting color profile correct,  one print I did on metal was absolutely great, another on wood, looked very bright and off.  I am using an Epson WF-7710, Affinity Photo and Printers Jack Ink (I have contacted Printers Jack, their response was that I do not need an ICC profile, just save and print), I tried their recommendation and was not impressed, it looked very dark. I went on Epson for a profile but my country (USA) does not come up in the drop box? Has anyone used Printers Jack Ink and have these issues? I did try a couple of color profiles, and thought I had it right with the metal print but then had the wood come out off. Thank you for any help.

• Staff

Hi Tammy A and Welcome to the Forums,

On the Print dialog what do you have the Colour Management set to?  I'd try selecting Performed by Printer if it isn't already and see if you get better results.

Also if you export to PDF and print from there do you get the same results? 

The substrate the print ends up on will have a big influence on the colours (as you have seen). You really need to create your own custom ICC profile for each substrate if you want decent colour accuracy (even then I would think it will still be out to a degree as there's a limit to the corrections and printer gamut).

17 minutes ago, BofG said:

(even then I would think it will still be out to a degree as there's a limit to the corrections and printer gamut).

Yes, but with an appropriate profile one could use soft proofing to get an idea how it might look before making a print :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thank you for your help and replies!  I do have the management set to performed by app, only because when I soft proofed, it looked way off to me with no custom profile, I will try this again though. I found one profile that seems to look great for 90% of my pictures. I have the printer set to no color adjustment, and then set profile in affinity before I print, most of the ones that I have soft proofed with, look almost cloudy so I assume I am close with having a workable ICC profile lol. Thanks again!

• 3 years later...

A printer's sublimation inks have a time span of usability. Leaving them in the printer too lengthy will cause issues, for example, variety moving, head obstructs and banding. Many individuals concur that you can print past the "utilization by" date with no issues, however a decent guideline is to utilize the cartridges in no less than a half year of introducing them.

• 9 months later...

I have a problem and it is that Affinity is not still known by the sellers of sublimation printers.

The color profiles that they give for the epson 14000 are ready for photoshop and they say that for other programs are different.

https://www.brildor.com/media/upload/descargas/Manual_perfil_de_color_sublimacion_brildor_V1.pdf

I’d like to start using affinity for sublimation, does any of you have the ICC for this printer and some helpful steps to print photos for mugs.

thank you for your help, we really need some support with affinity for sublimation