RISC OS

[By Design] Inpainting brush tool - a bug, yes/no?

I'm investigating Photo's Trial Version with a view to possibly purchasing it. Having watched the Introductory Tutorial video, the Inpainting tool attracted me because my present Serif PhotoPlusX8 does not have this. In the tutorial. after painting the unwanted area red, and releasing the mouse, the area disappeared leaving behind a perfectly clean and accurate section of what was behind and around the removed section. Of course the guy doing it was expert, I'm playing with this for the first time. I recognise that this is a relevant factor, but for what it is worth, this is what happened when I tried. My first go was reasonable, but I hadn't been especially accurate, resulting in some bits not being removed. So I redid these bits - better but still missed some. My third try removed the last of what I wanted rid of, but in the process cloned some other parts of the image. The cloned bits were copies of a part of the image a couple of centimetres away from where I was working, and certainly included not when I "painted red". Further "red painting" soon got rid of the cloned bits, so not a huge problem, but is this a bug, or, (probably more likely!), my somehow misuse of the tool?

Hi @RISC OS,

It's hard to tell without seeing the image.

In a nutshell, the inpainting tool works by analysing the surrounding pixels and trying to clone/blend them over. Sometimes it works in one pass, sometimes you need several passes to get the desired result. 

Thanks,

Gabe. 

Hi GabrielM,

Thank you very much for responding. I've delayed replying until I had another go with this tool, this time saving the results so that I can let you see them. So three files, the first being the untouched original, the second and third being the first and then second "play". It's the lady in grey, behind my steipson in the checked shirt that I am removing. Thoughts?

Inbrush Try - 1.jpg

Original, Untouched Version.jpg

Inbrush Try - 2.jpg

This is expected in this case. it cannot guess what's behind that lady... so it tries to fill it with what's surrounding it. If you were to remove the bottles in the background, it would know how to do it because they are surrounded by white. But removing the lady is not a 1-click operation. You might be better of using the clone tool. I've closed this issue as By design.