You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crash when importing a PDF Booklet

Hi

I have just tried opening the attached pdf (which was done by a design company) In Publisher Version 305 and the program crashes. The same file opens in PagePlus X9, with a lot of warnings and font substitution but every page seems OK. This is a Charity for which I am Chair of Trustees so there is no issue with copyright other than the usual not to redistribute any modified version  or parts etc as it is freely available on the web.

I want to do the next issue, hopefully with AFPublisher as a start to using this as the software for new projects.

Windows 10 Build 1809 64bit 8gb ram

Carers Newsletter Autumn Winter 2018 web version.pdf

Alan Pickup

Windows 11 Home all Affinity suite of Apps PC and Gigabyte Laptop 16gb Ram and Nvidia GTX1660 Super on each.

Hi.

I've just downloaded and opened your pdf in APub ver 305, without problem!  See screenshot:

One ?possible? reason: I see you say you have 8GB RAM on your computer.  I have 32GB.  I notice task manager tells me APub is using around 1GB with your file open.  I wonder whether that is the cause of your problem, i.e. a lack of RAM?

One other difference between my machine and yours: I'm still on Win 10 1803, though I would hope the 1809 version has not created this problem for you!

Jeff

ScreenShot00542.jpg

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

Thanks for the reply Jeff. I have noticed from the forums that there seems to be machine specific differences even using the same Windows version, I had the same thing with installing prior to this build because it would not be do it unless I launched it as Administrator, yet my laptop with less spec and same windows versions never failed to update.

I have a new laptop with 16gb of Ram and a dedicated graphics cards so will give it a try with that later tonight.

PagePlus opened it without any memory issues on the same machine, so I would think a final version of Publisher should be able to run on 8gb or a lot of non professional users will balk at adding a lot more ram, if they have the slots. I would have to abandon my 2 x 4gb to upgrade as I have only 2 slots. That would mean an outlay of over £100 to go to 32gb, so would just keep on using PagePlus in that case.

Be interesting if others could try it on lower spec machines and report their experiences

Regards

Alan

Alan Pickup

Windows 11 Home all Affinity suite of Apps PC and Gigabyte Laptop 16gb Ram and Nvidia GTX1660 Super on each.

My machine has also only 8 GB RAM, i5-4590 CPU @ 3.30 GHz. Interesting is Designer 1.65x opens without problems, Publisher crashes at once with certain options checked. I managed to open the document with "Load all pages", "300dpi", "Colour space CMYK", Unchecked "Favour editable text over fidelity", Unchecked "Group lines of text into text frames" and Unchecked "Replace missing fonts".

In fact the document was looking with a minimum of created text frames. Maybe it is a combination of PDFLib version and power of the PC.

Added: Seems to be the option "Favour editable text" crashing Publisher.

Edited by Joachim_L
Added information

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

13 minutes ago, AlanPickup said:

Be interesting if others could try it on lower spec machines and report their experiences

Indeed so.

Just for the sake of testing this, I was also able to open the pdf in PP X9, having been shown a variety of on-screen messages about missing fonts or characters etc.  I'm not sure why Publisher didn't show any such messages?

16 minutes ago, AlanPickup said:

I have a new laptop with 16gb of Ram and a dedicated graphics cards so will give it a try with that later tonight.

I would be very interested to hear what happens in this situation.  As I wrote before, the only obvious differences between your machine and mine were the amount of RAM and the versions of Win 10 in use.

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

Yes , my v305 crashes opening all  PDFs I've tried, with  the option "Favour editable text" checked.  If that option is unchecked the PDF opens.

Windows 10 Home v 1803 Intel i7-4700MQ @ 2.40GHz, 16GB RAM

Thanks for the input everyone. So following on from your observations I tried opening on my new laptop as it appeared and once again crashed. After playing about with various options the only setting that does not crash is  as per screen grab. When it opens a font warning panel comes up but soon automatically closes.

I the tried these setting on my PC with 8gb of ram and it opens no problem again with those settings and the font warning appears briefly.

Ticking favor editable text over Fidelity makes it crash also.

So one for the mods to check and see if it needs a bug report

Regards

Alan

Publisher Screen.jpg

Alan Pickup

• Staff

Hi AlanPickup,

There is a known crash with development when 'Favor editable text over fidelity' is checked, so I presume it is this that you have been running into. However have you been able to get it to crash when importing the PDF with that checkbox unchecked? If so could you attach a screenshot of the PDF Options you are using that makes it crash with that checkbox disabled?

Thanks!

Hi Sean

Been away for couple of days so only just picked up your post. Not been able to make it crash with other options with ticked 

Thanks for the good work being done at Serif

Alan

Alan Pickup

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.