You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Selection Locked - Cannot remove picture

I tried to remove an image from a page, but I couldn't

I get the note in the bottom line, that the selection is locked, and I have to unlock it.

The help doesn't show anything under "unlock", nor under "lock"

I never willingly locked anything - how did it get locked and how can I unlock it?

thanks!

3 hours ago, World View said:

I never willingly locked anything - how did it get locked and how can I unlock it?

For how it got locked:

1. Did the image originate from a Master Page, or is it one you manually added to a document page?
  2. Is it in a Picture Frame, and if so, did that Picture Frame originate from a Master Page?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

If the picture is in a frame and that frame is on a master page, make sure you are trying to delete the image itself and not the frame.  The frame would normally be locked by nature of the fact that it is on a master page, and one click on the frame with the move tool would select the frame containing the picture.

12 hours ago, fde101 said:

If the picture is in a frame and that frame is on a master page, make sure you are trying to delete the image itself and not the frame.  The frame would normally be locked by nature of the fact that it is on a master page, and one click on the frame with the move tool would select the frame containing the picture.

I have selected the page, and use the move tool to select the image.

But - as you say - it selects the frame, and not the image.

What tool do I have to use to select the image inside the frame so I can remove it? I have done this before - and I could easily remove the image. 

I simply cannot select the image within the frame.

27 minutes ago, World View said:

What tool do I have to use to select the image inside the frame so I can remove it?

Either double-click on the frame, or expand the frame in the layers panel and select the image layer underneath it.

EDIT: actually, this seems to be broken for picture frames on master pages.  It is not working for me in .305 - none of the usual controls come up when selecting a picture frame on a master page after placing an image in it.  I will post a bug report for this.

In the meantime, you can work around this by right-clicking on the master layer in the Layers panel and choosing Edit Detached.  Then you can select the picture by double-clicking on the frame.

I just started with the software and couldn't find this link/detach master page button - I saw it somewhere.

And somehow the picture frame disappeared and the image was still there and locked.

So I deleted both the master page and the page and set it up again.

9 hours ago, World View said:

link/detach master page button

If you want the buttons on the context toolbar, you need to select the layer for the master page in the Layers panel, and have the move tool selected.

You can also access these options at any time (regardless of selected tool) in the context menu of the master page layer in the Layers panel.

I don't have a master page entry in general, only the single entries (I compared to the help document - it should be there, but it isn't)

None of my master pages has a master page layer, only each shape I added shows as a step.

I'm attaching a screenshot of the layers panel.

Screen Shot 2019-04-30 at 2.51.43 PM.png

Can you give us a sample .afpub document that demonstrates it?

Also, what beta were you running when you created your document, and what beta are you running now?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Check to make sure you aren't actually editing the master page.

You can tell by looking at the page controls in the lower-left corner of the window - with a non-master page it looks like this:

image.png.7eafc5b616df38e1668eb4b36959c456.png

With a master page like this (it actually says "Master"):

image.png.27ac2d74586db98c026904808a39fc6c.png

The orange stripes along the left edge of the layers mean that they are symbols, which in Publisher generally translates to master page objects.  If you are editing a normal, non-master page and those items are there, created in Publisher, with no master page layer, then unless you took some deliberate action to drag them out of the master layer while using Edit Linked mode (which would actually impact other pages of the document), I suspect your document may have become corrupt somehow.  If I drag them out using Edit Detached the lines become partially broken, but most of yours are solid in that screenshot.

7 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Can you give us a sample .afpub document that demonstrates it?

Also, what beta were you running when you created your document, and what beta are you running now?

I created it in beta .392 and am now running .305

7 hours ago, fde101 said:

Check to make sure you aren't actually editing the master page.

You can tell by looking at the page controls in the lower-left corner of the window - with a non-master page it looks like this:

image.png.7eafc5b616df38e1668eb4b36959c456.png

With a master page like this (it actually says "Master"):

image.png.27ac2d74586db98c026904808a39fc6c.png

The orange stripes along the left edge of the layers mean that they are symbols, which in Publisher generally translates to master page objects.  If you are editing a normal, non-master page and those items are there, created in Publisher, with no master page layer, then unless you took some deliberate action to drag them out of the master layer while using Edit Linked mode (which would actually impact other pages of the document), I suspect your document may have become corrupt somehow.  If I drag them out using Edit Detached the lines become partially broken, but most of yours are solid in that screenshot.

Thank you, I was in the pages section. Still getting used to the masters / pages concept.

I had found that link/detach buttons a couple of days ago - for the moment I'm hunting it as a ghost... but I have to speed up as I promised my rep a first draft of the client eMag.

11 hours ago, World View said:

None of my master pages has a master page layer, only each shape I added shows as a step.

Just to clear this up, the master page layer does not show up when you are editing the master page itself.  It should be on the individual pages that you apply the master page to, and acts as a group/container for the objects that are on the master page.  On the regular pages you should see a master page layer/group for each master page that is applied to that regular page.

If you are seeing the objects from the master page on a regular page and they are not grouped within a master page layer, barring having taken specific action to drag them out while using Edit Linked (which in my opinion we should not be able to do, but Publisher does allow it right now, and it makes a mess of things), it does look like there might be something amiss with that document.

If it is something you cannot share publicly, someone from Serif might be able to provide you with a link to send it privately for them to review and help to determine what might have happened.