You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher Beta Released Far too Early

On 4/30/2019 at 6:15 PM, fde101 said:

No, just the latest.  From what I gather they have a few more in mind...  but adding Publisher does create something of a core set of three basic design applications.

When Adobe released InDesign it was missing a lot of core functionality that had been present in PageMaker for a long time (http://lowendmac.com/software/i/indesign.html), so this is hardly unprecedented.

Affinity Publisher is not a renamed successor to PagePlus.  It is a completely different program in a completely different product line developed by a different team which just happens to be from the same company that had previously developed PagePlus.

You should seriously use a typewriter...   :9_innocent:

Just now, Tadhg said:

Affinity Publisher is not a renamed successor to PagePlus.  It is a completely different program in a completely different product line developed by a different team which just happens to be from the same company that had previously developed PagePlus

Just for the record, Serif did suggest to me, a long time user of all their software, that I should switch to the Affinity Range because they were ending support for their older software. In no way were they suggesting that the Affinity Software was completely different: they offered it as a replacement and upgrade for the older software. Fact. 

It seems to me that critical feedback, no matter how well intentioned, is not acceptable. It's a shoot the messenger response in general that I am getting. There is no need to be defensive. I have repeatedly said how appreciative I am of all the Serif products over the years.  You say that it is a different  team developing the Affinity software. That's probably necessary because of different OS environment etc but maybe they have dropped a few features and lost some of the elegance and intuitiveness designed into the older software. Maybe? 

1 hour ago, Tadhg said:

It seems to me that critical feedback, no matter how well intentioned, is not acceptable.

Sure it is, I've provided some myself.

1 hour ago, Tadhg said:

I should switch to the Affinity Range because they were ending support for their older software.

That doesn't mean that the Affinity range is an update to or continuation of the older software.  It is a new product that serves a similar function, thus potentially can be a "replacement", yes - that is not the same thing.  If you don't like the Affinity suite, there are other options - QuarkXPress ($$$), InDesign ($ repeatedly), and various other players with typically smaller offerings.  Those could also be "replacements" for PagePlus if you are willing to pay for them, and unlike Publisher, they have commercial releases right now, not currently in beta.  They won't have all of the features that PagePlus had either, though I would expect them to have some that it did not.

1 hour ago, Tadhg said:

maybe they have dropped a few features and lost some of the elegance and intuitiveness designed into the older software

As Affinity Publisher is an entirely new product and has never been released, it's a bit soon for them to be "dropping" features.  They haven't had time to add as many features as PagePlus had, since that had been around much longer than Publisher has so far.  There will be more coming, but developing software of this magnitude doesn't happen overnight.

1 hour ago, haakoo said:

Can you back this up with hard evidence?

This is probably pushing a bit too far.  Best guess is that this happened over email discussions with someone at Serif who either misrepresented the Affinity products or an update, or more likely worded something in such a way that @Tadhg misinterpreted the meaning to be that.  Suggesting it as a replacement is not the same thing as indicating that it is a direct update to the older software, so that could very well be legitimate and accurate.

Get a grip haakoo. I don't make recordings of my conversations with product reps. fde101, you are more measured in your responses and  you have been critical of some aspects of the products. I accept that. I really don't intend to say any more in this thread because it has degenerated into a verbal duel rather than a genuine discussion about the product/s. So, I'll wait and see how the products develop over the next few months. In the meantime I'll combine the strengths of the old and the new software; the new on mac and the old on pc.  Regards to all at Serif and Serif users like myself. 

39 minutes ago, haakoo said:

Why do people state something when it's not a fact and then walk away from a discussion they initiated?

You seem to be overlooking this important point:

1 hour ago, Tadhg said:

I don't make recordings of my conversations with product reps.

There have been numerous complaints about Serif sales staff describing Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo as replacements, or even upgrades, for DrawPlus and PhotoPlus.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

7 minutes ago, haakoo said:

I don't ever expect anything to be a complete one on one replacement of a product,service or whatever.

Of course not, but if you’re offered an ‘upgrade’ of a software product it’s perfectly reasonable to expect it to be able to open your existing project files and to have all the existing features as well as some new ones, together with fixes for known bugs.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

There have been numerous complaints about Serif sales staff describing Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo as replacements, or even upgrades, for DrawPlus and PhotoPlus

Thanks, I wasn't aware of this.  Something the team at Serif should probably investigate and take steps to improve on.