You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1. let me ask: is there a way to make a file new using the formating of an existing book?

2. it´s fine to copy a text into a new file. Is there a comand to float to all pages? Thx, lars

all Aff 2.2: Capture One+ 23 pro; MacBook Pro, OSX 10.15.7,  Fuji X-Pro2 

1. yes, sort-of: you delete styles in an and you can import styles from an afpub document. –> hamburger menu (text-) "Styles".

2. yes, it's called "auto-flow". –> shift-click on the text-flow triangle of a full frame will auto-create new pages and their filled frames.

3. yes, the command for asking questions directly within Publisher is called "Help" ;)

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Ja, wenn wir die Deutschen nicht hätten mit dem erhobenen Zeigefinger! Kölle Alaaaf.

I did not ask only for the text styles but the whole formatting, Masterpages etc.

Shift-click fills text only to right OR left pages.

all Aff 2.2: Capture One+ 23 pro; MacBook Pro, OSX 10.15.7,  Fuji X-Pro2 

9 minutes ago, larsh said:

I did not ask only for the text styles but the whole formatting, Masterpages etc.

I might misunderstand you: To carry all settings of one document incl. masters to a new document you can delete all document pages and save as new document.

Otherwise you can save a document setting ("Page preset" in menu "New") but it does not include individual spread settings (like masters) or styles.

32 minutes ago, larsh said:

How did you do this? - To me it works on facing pages (left + right). Notice that it wants to generate both pages AND text frames by itself. Means: don't create empty text frames an your master.

4 hours ago, larsh said:

Not for me. I just created a new Publisher document, setup for Facing Pages, but with 1 page. I drew a Text Frame on page 1, then Placed a .docx file into that Text Frame, then shift-clicked to flow the text info more frames. Here's a screenshot of the Pages panel after that:
image.png.a0c4e87ca089bcdb099554d0cec049ed.png

It seems trickier to do that with a Facing Pages document where the document page inherited its Text Frame from a Master Page. I started out drawing the Text Frame directly on the document page [Edit: and that worked]. I am still experimenting with that [Edit: autoflow using text frames on Master Pages], and (in .305) facing either errors in how I'm trying to do it, or bugs. I haven't figured out which, yet.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

I started out drawing the Text Frame directly on the document page. I am still experimenting with that, and (in .305) facing either errors in how I'm trying to do it, or bugs. I haven't figured out which, yet.

The Help says you can't use auto-flow to fill existing text frames.

Means – similar to InDesign – you can layout auto-flow only according to the margins defined in your document or master spread.

Indeed a pity. It would be nice to be enabled to define a particular area on a master for auto-flow – a footer for instance, or a text box aside articles.

On the other hand, honestly, auto-flow is necessary for a long text only. So it makes sense to decide it as sufficient to enable auto-flow for the complete spread only, like a book page.

59 minutes ago, thomaso said:

And that's true.

Sorry, I accidentally merged two lines of thought in the part of my earlier post that you quoted. Autoflow is working fine sa long as you start with a Text Frame drawn on a document page. But I'm having trouble getting it to work properly for a Facing Page document with the Text Frames drawn on the Master.

I think it's supposed to work as long as you draw a Text Frame on each facing page of the Master, and link them. But I haven't found the way to actually get it to work in .305 (and I didn't try that in earlier betas).

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Walt, this:

12 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

think it's supposed to work as long as you draw a Text Frame on each facing page of the Master, and link them.

... and that:

And that's true.

are contradictory, aren't they?

So, imho, this:

But I'm having trouble getting it to work properly for a Facing Page document with the Text Frames drawn on the Master. 

must fail because of that: "the Text Frames drawn on the Master."

Simply do it without any text frame on master pages. On a virgin document place your text on page 1. Then shift-click the flow marker and see it happily happen.

22 minutes ago, thomaso said:

are contradictory, aren't they?

Not really, but you need to play with it a bit. For example, after more experimenting, this works:

1. Create a Facing Pages document, and in the file creation dialog specify 2 pages and starting on the left.
  2. On the Master Page, draw a Text Frame on the left page, and on the right. Link the bottom right of the left-page Text Frame to the top-left of the right-page text frame. Here's a sample:
    Empty-two-page.afpub
  3. Switch to page 1, and click in its Text Frame.
  4. File > Place a long text document (.txt, .docx) into that Text Frame. It will flow from page 1 onto page 2, and overflow page 2's Text Frame.
  5. Shift-click on the red overflow icon on page 2.
  6. Publisher now creates pages [3,4], [5,6], [7,8], ... for as many pages as needed, properly filled with the overflow text, and all based on the Master Page.

-- Walt
PC:

Sounds good, well done Walt!

I haven't tried such yet because I still have one painful difference in mind from InDesign: between "paste" and "place" for using text flow.

You write "4. File > Place" whereas this topic is about "paste":

8 hours ago, larsh said:

copy a text into a new file. Is there a comand to float to all pages?

33 minutes ago, thomaso said:

You write "4. File > Place" whereas this topic is about "paste":

Text overflow should work the same, no matter how it occurs, so Place vs copy/paste should not matter.

-- Walt
PC:

4 minutes ago, World View said:

What if you copied the file of the existing book, and deleted the text in the pages - and so using the exact same master pages as in the other project without dragging master pages across? Would this work?

That could work to satisfy @larsh's first question, I think. You'd probably want to delete all the document pages (not just the text in them), leaving only the master pages, text styles, etc.

-- Walt
PC: