You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Make text flow from one master page to another

Hi everyone, I am trying to set up two master pages with linked text frames. The basics of what I want to accomplish is to have one master page for the start of the chapter that has a large heading with the chapter number and chapter name, with a text frame below it and a page number in a different place than the rest of the chapter. Then I want a regular two page spread for the rest of the chapter that just has the text frame taking up the page with a page number and chapter name in the footer towards the outer margin.

The problem is that I can't link from one master page to another. If I add a page with the chapter master applied, place text, then shift-click the triangle to create more pages, every page has the chapter master. If I try to change the master of those pages to my standard master, all the text just gets deleted and I have blank pages with the correct master.

I can link the pages individually, but I thought that was what using text frames on the master pages was supposed to prevent? Individually linking pages for a 300 page book (just an example) would be incredibly inefficient. Am I missing something?

The current implementation of linking text boxes and they way it interacts with master pages could really stand to be improved.

For now, I think you would need to create your chapter start page, create one "after that" page, and manually link the first ones.  Then use the shift-click to create the remaining normal pages from that first one.