You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hide the bottom status bar that shows the hint text

3 hours ago, initrc said:

The hint text is only useful to new users. It's a waste of space and distraction to the rest of the users. It'd be great if there's an option to hide it.

I disagree with it being useful only to new users, and being a waste of space. It uses such a small space. Unless I specifically look at it, I don't notice it at all. But I guess if it would please the experts to have a toggle to hide it then I'd be for that.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

My frustration is that there is often too much information to show in such a small space (my screen is only 1920px wide).

Perhaps it would be better to have a Modifiers Panel that can be sized and placed by the user: docked to the bottom like a status bar, floated on a second screen, or turned off if desired.

This would allow for more space to show the various modifiers associated with each tool, would be far more customizable, and could even link through to the main help pages for the tool in question.

SketchUp has something similar to this, which actually shows small introductions to the basic use of each tool.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

Paintshop Pro has their Learning Center. You can opt to not show it, and by default is docked to the right. It can be drug out and resized. It is very content aware/topic sensitive. Selecting one of the topics in the Learning Center, provides more info on how to use tools, ect. If that's not enough it has a More hyperlink that takes you to Corel's on-line help, specific to what you're needing help with.

pspLearnCtr.jpg

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

@Ron P., although the space it takes isn't huge, I find it distracting due to the staggered bold and normal text styles. I'd always welcome additional vertical space.

Also, every time you change a tool, the hint text changes too.

Here's a screenshot of Clip Studio Paint. No hint text status bar, no scroll bars. Just the canvas that you focus on.

641075786_DesktopScreenshot2019_04.29-21_55_18.50(2).thumb.png.8384cf0c6b98088e4f4d9a9306bb6c43.png

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 11:26 AM, initrc said:

The hint text is only useful to new users. It's a waste of space and distraction to the rest of the users. It'd be great if there's an option to hide it.

As you probably know hitting the Tab key will hide most controls in the program, including the Hint Line

If you want to reshow all controls except the Hint Line then after pressing Tab

Use View > Studio to unhide the studio

also on the View Menu, you can then reshow the Toolbar, Context Toolbar, & Tools

The Hint Line will remain hidden

Unless you only plan to do the above once or twice a day you might want to invest in an external Macro or Scripting program that will do it all for you using a simple shortcut key

Edited: 4/6/19, Looks like the above persists even after restarts

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• 2 years later...

Unfortunately its there again, when opening a document that´s been existing. Or a new one!

Affinitiy .......   why not making on little preference line for this option, so many want to get rid of? Just one klick for us, if we want it, or not, ................   !

And again I found a bug ...........   but I will not spend a minute to report this, cause Affinity does not really care about bugs! That´s my experience.

Listen what the customers want, ........  solve bugs  ..............   then you would be fine! It´s a love and hate thing between me and these apps ...... or lets say this company.

6 hours ago, Kobold said:

Just found this awesome tip, .......  thanks so much, finally I can get rid of this hint line! 

Note that if you do that, you also remove the page navigator. That may not matter to you too much in Publisher, where you have the Pages panel that will also let you navigate from page to page. But if you open a Publisher document in Designer or Photo, and you've removed that line, you'll be stuck on whichever Page first opens.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 6 months later...
Just now, Cristobal Pohlhammer said:

Wuauuuuuuuuuuu amazing tip @carl123, thanks so much. Affinity had a lot to learn in interface customization, from Adobe and other software's. For example I used Cinema 4D, its amazing his interface and customization, are huge!

Thanks again @carl123

Just now, Cristobal Pohlhammer said:

Wuauuuuuuuuuuu amazing tip @carl123, thanks so much. Affinity had a lot to learn in interface customization, from Adobe and other software's. For example I used Cinema 4D, its amazing his interface and customization, are huge!

Thanks again @carl123

Its true, doesn't work, the hint line its back.....snif.

• 8 months later...
4 minutes ago, Cristobal Pohlhammer said:

Hello, anybody can resolve this issue in the version 2 of Affinity photo?

Carl's approach above should still work: 

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

12 minutes ago, Cristobal Pohlhammer said:

But how is it possible that not even in version 2.0 have an option to easily hide this bar? It's incredible

Perhaps because it's a very important part of the UI and Serif doesn't think it should be hidden? Or perhaps because they have had more important things to do, possibly things that are higher priority because more users want them.

-- Walt
PC:

Thank you friend as always for your answers.

The truth is that I don't think like you, from my point of view all the software I use have this option to hide this bar. It is something so obvious, so simple that there is no excuse. For users who use it, leave it, for those who don't, they can remove it with a click, simple.

• 6 months later...

I currently have version 2.1.1 of Affinity Photo and pressing TAB does not remove the status bar.

It is the only thing still there when in full screen (presentation/minimal mode), which messes up the presentation and minimalism of such view. 

Any solution for this yet?

Screenshot 2023-06-28 at 5.39.29 PM.jpg

2 hours ago, moretap said:

I currently have version 2.1.1 of Affinity Photo and pressing TAB does not remove the status bar.

What OS do you use?

Also, if you press Tab again, to restore the UI, do you still have the Status Bar visible?

-- Walt
PC:

13 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

What OS do you use?

Also, if you press Tab again, to restore the UI, do you still have the Status Bar visible?

Walt,

I'm using macOS Ventura 13.4.1

And when I restore, it is still there. (It is continually there no matter what Toggle UI or Toggle Full Screen is used)

9 hours ago, moretap said:

And when I restore, it is still there.

Thanks.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "when I restore".

If you completely close the application, and start it again, do you have the Status Bar? If you press Tab at that point, do you have it?

-- Walt
PC:

15 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Thanks.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "when I restore".

If you completely close the application, and start it again, do you have the Status Bar? If you press Tab at that point, do you have it?

Sorry, by "restore" I just meant press TAB again.

As far as I recall (It may have worked differently in previous versions) but the Status Bar has always been there. 

Thanks. We'll need someone else who uses Mac (and possibly your version of macOS) to confirm how it works for them, I think.

-- Walt
PC:

• Staff

I can confirm I'm seeing the same behaviour here and this isn't expected, the Status Bar should be hidden when using the Toggle UI function - I'm getting this logged with our developers now.

Thanks for your report @moretap :) 

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)