initrc

[Fixed] Can't switch to a different brush unless the cursor is still in the brush panel before the switch finishes

Posted (edited)

If I pick a different brush and move the cursor from the brush panel to the canvas quickly, the new brush won't be picked.

It's quite annoying that I have to select and wait before I can paint with the new brush.

Edited by initrc

I'm not able to replicate that. I tried about every brush I have, and with both my mouse and wacom tablet. The change was instantaneous.

Affinity Photo 1.7.0.367, ; Win10 Home Version:1903, Build: 18362.207: Intel i7-4770, 3.40GHz, 32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 645 

Posted (edited)

Thanks Ron. I tested with the mouse and it worked. The bug only repros on my wacom tablet.

Here's a screencast where I was testing the basic brushes. See that the brush width didn't change when I moved the cursor out of the panel quickly.

Edited by initrc

Hi @initrc,

Viewing your screencast, it looks like the brush sizes are very, very small. Those numbers beside the brushes are the sizes, 1,2, 4, 8 pixels. Those are extremely small especially if you're document is fairly large. The brush will look like that small cross. You would have to be zoomed way in to be able see the brush. Try selecting one, then enlarging it in the context toolbar. Also you are aware, the if you make changes in the brush, in the brush panel, the changes you make will change that brushes parameters.

What is the size of your photo/document? Please try selecting one then changing the size in the context toolbar, or click the More button to get the dialog to change many of the properties/parameters.

Affinity Photo 1.7.0.367, ; Win10 Home Version:1903, Build: 18362.207: Intel i7-4770, 3.40GHz, 32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 645 

Hi both. 

@initrc, you're not actually clicking on the brush, you're click-dragging on it, which does not select it, despite of the brush being highlighted on the panel. This has already been fixed in the latest Windows Beta(he fix available in the next Windows release), and click-drag on a brush will no longer highlight nor select it. You would need to keep your pen/mouse still when selecting a brush. 

Next time you log a bug, please follow these guidelines: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/38-bugs-in-affinity-designer-affinity-photo/

Thanks,

Gabe. 

@Ron P., yep I used these standard brushes to showcase the bug, and to confirm that the issue wasn't the custom brushes I used. The updated brush width of 1, 2, 4, 8 was to showcase that the brush is selected. Thanks for chiming in!

@GabrielM, Thanks! I tried the beta version and I can confirm that the bug is fixed!

I wasn't click-dragging though. It's pen down, pen up, and pen move. The bug didn't reproduce on the mouse because mouse up is instant, whereas there is a threshold for the wacom pen. By the time the distance between the tablet and the pen reaches that threshold, pen up is triggered. If at that time the cursor is outside of the panel, the bug occurs, otherwise it doesn't. I picked the brush the same way in Photoshop and Clip Studio Paint and the bug never occurred. I'm glad it's fixed in Beta.

And thanks for the link to the guidelines.