You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text in Shape doesn't seem to work- Affinity Photo Mac
Watched a demo of Affinity Photo on Windows and it shows that when hovering the Frame Text Tool over a shape it changes to a pentagon and one can type in the shape.
Trying to do that with Affinity Photo 1.6.7 on Mac (High Sierra), the Frame Text Tool remains square or becomes a crosshair and in either case, typing in the shape replaces it with a Frame.

Is this a difference between Mac and Windows version?
Is this a bug in the Mac version?
Might I be doing something wrong?

Attached is what I saw from a Windows Affinity Photo user.

Windows.png

but what I see on Mac

Mac1.png

Mac2.png

19 minutes ago, cseeman said:

Watched a demo of Affinity Photo on Windows and it shows that when hovering the Frame Text Tool over a shape it changes to a pentagon and one can type in the shape.
Trying to do that with Affinity Photo 1.6.7 on Mac (High Sierra), the Frame Text Tool remains square or becomes a crosshair and in either case, typing in the shape replaces it with a Frame.

I can't comment on how Photo on Mac works, as I'm a Windows user.

I will mention, though, that on Windows the existing shape is also replaced by a Shape Text object. You lose the shape's fill and stroke during that transform.

So it sounds like the only issue for you on Mac may be the cursor shape.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Are you sure it was Affinity Photo and not Affinity Designer where you saw this? - On the Mac AD shows the pentagon cursor icon when hovering with the Frame Text Tool over a shape but not APh.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

2 hours ago, v_kyr said:

Are you sure it was Affinity Photo and not Affinity Designer where you saw this? - On the Mac AD shows the pentagon cursor icon when hovering with the Frame Text Tool over a shape but not APh.

On the source I saw it on, it looks like a Photo, not Designer Logo given the color.

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

will mention, though, that on Windows the existing shape is also replaced by a Shape Text object. You lose the shape's fill and stroke during that transform.

So at least that confirms you see the same behavior on Windows.
So there's no text in shape.

Currently, I create a text layer and group them.

19 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

I will mention, though, that on Windows the existing shape is also replaced by a Shape Text object. You lose the shape's fill and stroke during that transform.

Walt, are you sure you can create Shape Text objects in the Windows version of Affinity Photo?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

11 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Walt, are you sure you can create Shape Text objects in the Windows version of Affinity Photo?

Yes.

Here's the Layers panel after I created a diamond shape:

image.png.30ba364e4657b8e32e00c93d15f6d083.png

And here it is after I clicked inside the diamond with the Frame Text tool, in  Photo 1.6.5.135:

image.png.a35e27265db12b582227403280daf0ab.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

35 minutes ago, R C-R said:

21 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Yes.

You can also create Shape Text in the iPad version of Affinity Photo. What you can’t do, of course, is create text on a path in any version of APh.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

In Affinity Photo βeta 1.7.0.x you will get the hexagon, the text frame retains the background colour and any stroke applied to the shape.

In Affinity Photo 1.6.x you get the T in a box and the shape becomes transparent.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 hour ago, firstdefence said:

In Affinity Photo βeta 1.7.0.x you will get the hexagon, the text frame retains the background colour and any stroke applied to the shape.

In Affinity Photo 1.6.x you get the T in a box and the shape becomes transparent.

But what is confusing (at least to me) is in both Mac versions, when placing the Frame Text Tool cursor inside the shape, the status bar reads "Click to convert <shape name> to Text Frame," not 'to Shape Text,' which is what is shown in the Layers panel immediately after conversion, before any text is added.

Likewise, the History panel shows "Convert to text frame" as the result of clicking. :S

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

15 hours ago, R C-R said:

But what is confusing (at least to me) is in both Mac versions, when placing the Frame Text Tool cursor inside the shape, the status bar reads "Click to convert <shape name> to Text Frame," not 'to Shape Text,' which is what is shown in the Layers panel immediately after conversion, before any text is added.

Likewise, the History panel shows "Convert to text frame" as the result of clicking. :S

A bit inconsistent I agree, but, it's text in a shape, that has been converted to a text frame, while retaining the colouration of the shape that has text in it - I mean how much clearer can it be :D

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

3 hours ago, firstdefence said:

A bit inconsistent I agree, but, it's text in a shape, that has been converted to a text frame, while retaining the colouration of the shape that has text in it - I mean how much clearer can it be :D

The inconsistency is in the Layers panel: it uses "Shape Text" for shape objects or "Curve Text" for curve objects as the default parenthetical layer type designator for newly converted objects. Consistency with the Status bar & with the History panel could be maintained simply & easily by using "Frame Text" as the default -- just like it does when dragging out text frames with the Frame Text Tool.

It does not matter if there was a conversion involved -- after all, they are all frame text objects. They even use the same icon in the Layers panel as in the toolbar. So there is no benefit to using 3 different placeholder defaults for them. As it is, it is just a minor source of confusion.

Affinity Photo