You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to edit a pinned object in master page text frame?

I have come across something that I can't tell if it is a bug or feature:

1. Create a new document with one page.
  2. On its master page create a text frame and assign the master page to page 1.
  3. On page 1 switch to the Text Tool and insert some filler text and expand field (or paste from somewhere), to have some text.
  4. Create a little object, I choose a circle. Switch to Move Tool and make the object active
  5. Open 'Studio > Pinning'. This pins the object somewhere in the text.

Result: the little circle becomes part of the master page (see Layers Panel) and cannot be edited nor selected anymore. It moves nicely with the text.

It is possible to the master page content in mode 'Edit Detached'.
But I do not understand why this object can be part of the master page but it does not show up on other pages that have this master assigned.

What is the logic behind this? (Note: I'm far from complaining. I just want to make sure a) I understand this correctly or b) this is not a bug  :)  )

d.

Edited by dominik
Typo

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

1 hour ago, Seneca said:

Sounds like a bug to me.

After thinking about it for a little while I also tend to see this as a bug. An object that is pinned to a text that is editable in detached mode should be editable as well.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

On 4/27/2019 at 2:46 AM, dominik said:

But I do not understand why this object can be part of the master page but it does not show up on other pages that have this master assigned.

Certainly odd, even bizarre.

22 hours ago, dominik said:

After thinking about it for a little while I also tend to see this as a bug. An object that is pinned to a text that is editable in detached mode should be editable as well.

d.

Not sure about it being a bug but it is early days yet. Going to take some time to learn the little quirks of this (needed) feature. It is unintuitive at present.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

22 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

it is early days yet

This is very true. At the same time I am glad to be part of these days :)

d.

Pinning an object makes it a child of the text frame.

If you look at the circle in the layers panel, you will see that it is missing the orange stripe along the left which would otherwise suggest that it is a symbol (or belongs to a master page).

Similarly, it is not present on the master page itself.

Thus it is a page-specific child of a parent layer which happens to be on a master page.

I do consider it a bug that it is erroneously "inheriting" the master page behavior of being locked.

This is might be a bug related to master page behavior rather than to pinning behavior.  If you set the master layer to Edit Detached then drag a shape into the master layer from the layers panel, and switch back to Edit Frame Content, it behaves the same way.

It could be argued, however, that by dragging it in that way, you are in effect making it a local modification of the master page layer, thus it takes on the master page mode, in which case this reaction to being pinned could also be an unforseen consequence of the design of how master pages and pinning are done.

Either way it should be fixed.

I did a test with flowing text from one page to another added a bunch of text before the 'little object' I had on page three. The 'little object' flowed onto page five. It was no longer there on Page 3's master page in the layers panel but had migrated to page 5's master page.

Pretty sure I can live with the present system but the ability to right-click on the 'little object' on the page and edit it, instead of doing a right-click on the Master Page in the Layers studio and then clicking the layer or the 'little object', would be an improvement.

I sure do like the name 'little object', sounds lawyer-like. Incompetent lawyer-like. [pleased-with-myself emoticon] [bog-standard-smiley-face emoticon]

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

16 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

The 'little object' flowed onto page five. It was no longer there on Page 3's master page in the layers panel but had migrated to page 5's master page.

This is good.

the ability to right-click on the 'little object' on the page and edit it, instead of doing a right-click on the Master Page in the Layers studio and then clicking the layer or the 'little object', would be an improvement.

Not sure where the "right" click comes in (guessing you have your buttons reversed?), but I do agree in principle, but perhaps a bit more strongly.  The images are behaving like content and content is supposed to be editable in the default master page mode.

2 minutes ago, fde101 said:

... the ability to right-click on the 'little object' on the page and edit it, ...

Not sure where the "right" click comes in (guessing you have your buttons reversed?), but I do agree in principle, but perhaps a bit more strongly.  The images are behaving like content and content is supposed to be editable in the default master page mode.

Sorry about being less than clear. 

As it is we cannot select the 'little object' on the page. What I want is an improvement so we can right click (or option/alt click) and have the 'little object' selected for editing without any other fuss and bother.