You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Verifying the file location

Is there any easy way to verifying where a file that I'm currently working on is located? I had set up a local directory on my ipad for my working files and thought that I was consistently using 'open' rather than 'import' so that the program would update those files in my specified location. I would then regularly hit the 'save' menu item in the program, assuming that it was updating the target files. This evening I found out too late that the the updated file location somehow shifted to an internal application location, because after 'closing' the file from the home screen and then later reopening the file it did not contain several hours of recent work that I had put into it. So now, if I want to continue using the photo app I need to be able to verify that I'm updating the right files.

• Staff

If you open a file from Photos, apply some adjustments and then on the document screen select Save from the menu and choose the Save Document option if prompted, this will save the file to the apps default directory within iOS. The same applies to if you Import from Cloud and then apply adjustments and save, it will save to the apps local directory.

In the apps Preferences under General is a dropdown menu for the Default Save Location, however this is limited to On My iPad or iCloud. This limitation is partly down to the restrictions to how accessible the file system is in iOS. This may be something Apple changes in the next version of iOS.

Thank you for the quick reply. So, my initial question wasn't quite answered. Is there no way within AP itself where you can see the path of the file that one is working on? Is this the responsibility of the iOS file system? In Windows, when I wanted to verify where my current working file was located I would open up 'save as' and at the top of the dialog window it would list the current path of the file. And this was fairly standard throughout windows applications, which suggests that it is a part of the Windows file system's interface. I get that iOS wants to make actual paths more mysterious, which means that the app developer's have to jump through more hoops to make the process useful and intuitive.

The issue that happened to me, which I take responsibility for, was that I did something out of ignorance to cause my working file to shift from a location that I had specified outside of the app, to the default internal location. And thinking that I was updating to my external location I 'closed' what I thought was a reference to the external file, but it was a reference to an internal file that gets deleted when it is closed. I got the standard warning that I could lose data, but I had hit 'save' from the top menu, so I thought it was saved. This seems like a design issue too.

I love this app, but I'm just a former art student that wants to stay in his right brain as much as possible. Issues like this make me less creative.:43_slight_frown:

If you’ve been pressing save on the hamburger icon on the home screen then the file will be saved somewhere, have you checked the Photo folder within On My iPad folder and also the Affinity Photo folder in iCloud Drive to see if it’s there? Use the IOS files app to browse to those folders.

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

Paul,

I often used the 'save' option in the Document menu, which I assume was the same as the save option on the home screen. In any case, I think that I saved my file to my designated directory, then closed it in the home screen. Then later, I accidentally or ignorantly hit 'import' instead of 'open' to do some more work. Then, assuming that I was working on my designated file, kept launching from the home menu icon and saving after doing more work. So, when I wanted to do some file management, I again closed all my home screen icons just to clear things out, later realizing that my supposed working file had an old modified date and that I had indeed lost many hours of work. So, isn't it true that once you close a file that is saved internally it just gets deleted even if you have it backing up to the iCloud? I thought I read that somewhere. I checked the directories you mentioned, Paul. Just wondering if this is a scenario that plays out for other users. I will, of course be more conscious of how I open and save and will check the modified date of the file.

It’s an unfortunate 'benefit' of Apple’s sandbox approach to App security. It gets confusing knowing whether the Project screen version (stored inside the apps sandbox) is the same version as the Document screen version saved via Document menu. From previous testing I'm reasonably sure that provided you use Document Save a Copy, return to Project screen and delete the Project screen version, then Open from Cloud, navigate to and open the  version saved via Document Save a Copy, then use the newly visible Save option for future saves, both the Project screen version and the Document version remain in step. The trick for me is to delete that first Project screen version after saving. Then I'm forced to Open (I mostly avoid Import) from Cloud. I find this (for me) minimises out of step versions of the document I'm working on and creates a .afphoto or .afdesign file that can be backed up to any storage location.

I suspect that the Save option in Documents and the Save option is Projects are only the same if the above has been done. If not, it is possible to have two versions on the Project screen that are not the same and no easy way to work out which is which as both are sandboxed. If that happens I open each one to see which is most up to date, do a Save a Copy, delete both from Project screen and then Open from Cloud again.

I also use Documents (by Readdle) to create new Affinity Photo and Design Folders and subfolders to store my files both on iPad, cloud and wireless storage. As some have found to their dismay, files saved in the Apps own storage folders are deleted by iOS if the app is removed for some reason.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

Thanks for this, DM1. I'll give your process a try. I don't really understand the limitations imposed by the sandboxing but It seems like they could have some kind of indicator on the project screen icons that tells us if a file is stored internally and subject to deletion.

All files are stored internally (sandbox) while being edited. If you don’t do a manual save at some stage to create the .afphoto or .afdesign file, they will remain sandboxed. That’s why I like to do it up front so future saves effect both sandbox and folder versions. 

1 hour ago, rpaul said:

have some kind of indicator on the project screen icons that tells us if a file is stored internally and subject to deletion.

That would be handy. A workaround (as mentioned by Paul earlier), is to use Files app to browse to the Affinity folders, both the apps and any you created,  (on device or cloud) and look for the .afphoto/design file.  If you can't find one then it is just sandboxed. Oh, and remember all files in Affinity's own folders are 'subject to deletion' if you remove the app!

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/