You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

BUG: pressing M key doesn't highlight the Rectangle tool

1. Start AD

2. Create new doc

3. Press M key

4. Look at your tool palette

5. Guess why the Rectangle tool isn't highlighted.

Extra credit:

6. Can you PLEASE add more contrast to the highlight (lowlight?) color of the currently selected tool? Right now it's very similar to the background color. 

7. Thanks for all you do ;)

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

• Staff

Hi Ronny,

When I follow your steps, I get... the Rectangle Tool selected and highlighted... :unsure:   What do you get?

Well, seeing as it's for extra credit, I'll take a look at adjusting that contrast slightly although on my MacBook Pro 2013 it's really pretty bold already to me :)

Thanks!

Matt

I have banned the rounded rectangle icon from my sidebar (since it is redundant in a sense), so when cycling through the tools by repeatedly pressing "M", the highlight disappears whenever I select the rounded rectangle tool … just an idea … might be the reason …  :unsure:

Hey Matt, update:

I just get the tool cursor and I can use the tool no problem, but when I look at my Tool palette, there is nothing selected. But I think I figured out what's happening. I don't have the regular rectangle tool in my Tool Palette, just the Rounded rectangle tool — I will change this as it's a leftover UI customization I applied from the days of an older beta when the regular rectangle couldn't be converted to a rounded rectangle. The first time I press the M key, AD selects the regular Rectangle tool, but since it's NOT in my tool palette, it doesn't highlight anything...

Perhaps the correct behavior should be to cycle ONLY through the tools currently in palette, not the "hidden" tools which the user might have taken out using the customize tools command...

BTW, I prefer using one key to cycle through all the related tools, and NOT using the Shift key modifier. Chording keys is not as tablet friendly... If you choose to add the Shift modifier behavior, can you leave the current behavior as well via a Preferences setting?

Thanks for the prompt replies Matt. You guy rock!

Hi Ronny,

When I follow your steps, I get... the Rectangle Tool selected and highlighted... :unsure:   What do you get?

Well, seeing as it's for extra credit, I'll take a look at adjusting that contrast slightly although on my MacBook Pro 2013 it's really pretty bold already to me :)

Thanks!

Matt

Yeah Alex, I think you hit the nail on the head too!

I have banned the rounded rectangle icon from my sidebar (since it is redundant in a sense), so when cycling through the tools by repeatedly pressing "M", the highlight disappears whenever I select the rounded rectangle tool … just an idea … might be the reason …  :unsure:

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

One more thing Matt: Is there a keyboard equivalent for the Shape tool? I was thinking: Why not include only the top-level Shape tool (not its various sub-shapes) as well in the M key cycle, from the tools currently in the user's tool palette? That way with one key I can access/cycle through the three main Shapes we use: Rectangle, circle and the currently selected custom shape tool?

That's interesting - thanks Alex :)

I have to say, I actually really don't like the fact that we toggle around tools by pressing the same key - I'd like it if we only toggled between them with Shift held down...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.